Dengue fever is caused by the bite of an Aedes mosquito infected with a dengue virus. The person becomes infected when it bites a person with dengue virus in its blood. It can’t be spread directly from one person to another person. Also known as “break bone fever
Symptoms Of Dengue Fever
Symptoms usually start to show after 4-5 days of infection.
- High grade fever
- Severe headaches
- Pain behind eyes
- Severe joint and muscle pain
- Skin rashes
- Mild bleeding
People with weakened immune systems as well as those with a second or subsequent dengue infection are believed to be at greater risk for developing dengue hemorrhagic fever.
Prevention of Dengue Fever
The most effective form of “treatment” is actually prevention, but fending off annoying mosquitoes can be very difficult.
The most effective preventative strategies are:
- Avoiding or eliminating standing, stagnant water, as that is where mosquitoes reproduce.
- If you are in a heavily wooded or tropical area, apply mosquito repellent to any exposed skin.
Enclose and cover:
- Cover all your skin and ensure that the place you sleep in is fully enclosed, including tears in any mosquito netting that you may put in place to protect yourself.
Herbal Remedies to Treat Dengue Fever
Here are some of the best effective herbal remedies you can follow in case of dengue fever.
- It is also known as giloy. Its botanical name is Tinospora cordifolia. It is very effective herb in chronic fever and dengue fever. Its extract is taken out called as giloy sat used in fever. Its decoction is also prepared. It has very good antioxidant properties.
- Giloy cures dengue fever in early stages without any side-effects. The platelets are increased in significant manner and it lowers down the body temperature. If platelets are too much low then it can be taken at least 4-5 times a day. It is also believed that Giloy has liver protecting properties. It has anti-inflammatory effect too. It plays an amazing role in strengthening our natural immune system by helping the White Blood Cell count to increase in our body
Papaya Leaf juice:
Drinking Papaya leaf juice is very effective in dengue fever. Papaya leaves are known to be the natural cure for dengue fever. The leaves have a mix of nutrients and organic compounds, which help in increasing your platelet count. Papaya leaves also have a high level of vitamin C, which stimulates the immune system whereas the antioxidants help in reducing the stress and remove toxins from the body. All you need to do is crush the leaves and stain the juice from the crushed leaves.
Drinking lots of water in dengue is very effective. Excessive sweating, exertion during dengue fever can lead to extreme dehydration. As a result, ensure that you take a lot of fluids and stay well hydrated. Drink water at frequent intervals to keep your body well hydrated. Staying hydrated also reduces the symptoms of headaches, as well as muscle cramps. When you have dengue fever, the toxins in your body complicate the impact of the viral pathogens. Water also helps in flushing out these excess toxins from your body to help you recover.
- Basil leaves are miraculous herbs that not only help during dengue fever, but also improve your overall immunity. Chewing 5-6 basil leaves boosts your immunity and has been recommended as an effective Ayurvedic treatment for dengue fever. Basil leaves have essential oils with natural insecticidal properties which keep mosquitoes at bay.
- Oranges are rich in antioxidants and vitamins which help in treating the secondary symptoms of dengue. Orange juice also helps in eliminating dengue virus. The miraculous drink promotes antibodies in the immune system, increases urination, thereby releasing toxins from the body. Orange juice also repairs your body cells as it has Vitamin C which is crucial in creating collagen.
- Barley grass has the ability to significantly increase the body’s blood platelet count by stimulating the production of more blood cells. You can drink barley tea or eat barley grass directly and see a rapid increase in platelet count, which is one of the serious side effects of dengue fever that can prolong weakness and increase the susceptibility of the body to dengue hemorrhagic fever and more serious complications.
- Neem leaves are commonly prescribed for a variety of ailments, and dengue fever is no exception. Steeping neem leaves and then drinking the subsequent brew has been shown to increase both blood platelet count and white blood cell count, two of the most dangerous side effects of the virus. Properly brewed neem leaves can improve the immune system and return your strength much faster than many other home remedies.
- Goldenseal has many surprising benefits, one of which is its use in the treatment of dengue. It has been used for ages to cure the symptoms of fever and other infections due to its antiviral properties (11).
- Goldenseal is also beneficial in improving the blood platelet count. Although many herbal or natural remedies aren’t directly approved or proven through research, homeopathic physicians have praised goldenseal for its ability to clear up the symptoms of dengue fever very quickly and eliminate the virus from the body.
- Goldenseal not only helps to ease fevers, chills, headaches, nausea, and vomiting, but its natural antiviral capacity can essentially cure dengue fever in a matter of days.
- Fenugreek leaves are known to reduce fever and act as a slight sedative to ease pain and promote more restful sleep for patients. This is a popular home remedy for dengue fever symptoms in numerous places around the world.
- Turmeric has many medicinal benefits and is used in the treatment of various ailments. Most of these benefits are due to the presence of Curcumin in it. The immunomodulatry functions of Curcumin help in boosting your immunity, while its antiviral properties help in combating the root cause (viral infections) of dengue. It is also known to boost metabolism and helps in making the healing process faster. You can consume turmeric along with milk. It has an anti-viral properties. It is also very good anti inflammatory. It has anti-oxidant properties too.
- It has very good anti-bacterial properties. It has properties of immune boosting and anti-oxidants. One can have it by boiling it with Tulsi in dengue fever. You can have 4-5 black pepper and 4-5 leaves of Tulsi after boiling them in water and have their decoction, which have very good effect in fever.
- Kiwis are packed with various nutrients and minerals that can help you overcome fatigue and weakness – two symptoms of dengue fever. They also contain vitamin C that helps in boosting your overall immunity. These fruits are also helpful in increasing the blood platelet count.
- Apple juice can help increase the number of blood cells, which in turn improves your blood platelet count. Also, Apples are natural antioxidants and can help protect your blood cells from free radical damage.
These are some Proven Herbal Remedies to Treat the Symptoms of Dengue Fever and can show good results during fever, chronic fever and in boosting immunity to fight the infection.
- Food only.
- Avoid fast foods as these foods contain refined flour that will not keep the digestive fire strong, keep the body channels blocked causing vitiation of doshas.
- Steer clear of too many sweet and salty tastes.
Vikram Chauhan, MD – AYURVEDA is an expert Ayurvedic practitioner based in Chandigarh, India and doing his practice in Mohali, India. He is spreading the knowledge of Ayurveda Ancient healing treatment, not only in India but also abroad. He is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Products, Planet Ayurveda Clinic and Krishna Herbal Company. For more info visit our website: