Hadjod is a wonderful ayurvedic herb which is especially known for its effective bone fracture healing properties. It is found in various regions of India. Hadjod contains a variety of medicinal properties and improves the health of the body to a great extent. The features of hadjod along with its medicinal properties and characteristics will be discussed in detail in the following article.
Hadjod is an ayurvedic herb which contains numerous health benefits. The botanical name of hadjod is “Cissus quadrangularis”. There are various vernacular names given to the herb of hadjod such as asthi shrinkhala, asthi sanhari,vrij valli, etc. It is a rambling herb characterised by a thick quadrangular fleshy stout stem. Traditionally, parts of hadjod i.e. leaf, stem, root or sometimes the whole plant is used to manage various pathological conditions.
Properties of Hadjod
The Cissus quadrangularis is ushna i.e. hot in potency. It is light, dry, and stable. Hadjod is pungent and sweet in taste while the vipaka (post digestive effect) is pungent. It helps to pacify the excessive vata and kapha dosha from the body. It is traditionally known as harjor which refers to bone setter that means it joins the bones. It helps to strengthen the bones and induces joint mobility. It helps to give relief from constipation as it contains laxative properties also.
Benefits of Hadjod
- Healing of bones – The plant extracts of hadjod are known to promote bone fracture healing properties. It helps in improving the uptake of minerals like calcium, sulphur, and serotonin which further helps to increase the strength of the bone. Hadjod is also effective in improving the rate of regeneration and mineralisation of bone. It helps to promote osteoblastic proliferation and differentiation.
- Oxidative properties of hadjod – The stem part of cissus quadrangularis i.e. hadjod contains a variety of components such as Vitamin – C, carotenoids, calcium, etc.These are known to be very effective anti oxidants. When hadjod is used regularly, it is known to improve the overall health of the body and is also effective in managing stress and related pathologies.
- Pain relieving effect – The use of hadjod can help in relieving the pain in the body. The pain caused by bone fractures and arthritis can be managed with the use of hadjod in optimum doses.
- Improving the strength of bones – It increases the strength of the bone and restores the health of the bone. Hadjod helps to boost the mineralisation in bones and also promotes the formation of mineral modules. It helps to reduce the susceptibility to fracture by improving the strength of the bones.
- Haemorrhoids – The research on hadjod reveals that it contains plenty of flavonoides. Flavonoides are known to manage the condition of haemorrhoids and varicose veins very effectively.
- Effect on lipid levels – Hadjod helps to improve the metabolism of lipids in the body which further helps to reduce the levels of LDL and triglycerides. The optimum use of Hadjod helps to increase the HDL level in blood.
- Menstrual bleeding – Hadjod also helps to manage abnormally heavy bleeding in the menstrual period.
- Anti ulcer effect – The stem of cissus quadrangularis has been used for managing gastritis and constipation since ancient times. It helps to enhance the glycoprotein levels which helps to prevent infection. The extracts of hadjod help to decrease the gastric secretions and hence are effective in managing ulcers also.
- Wound healing properties of hadjod – The paste of hadjod can be applied on wounds to improve the healing of the wounds. It is also known to possess analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, and hence helps to reduce the pain and inflammation also.
- Weight management – The use of hadjod helps to improve the metabolism of the body, ence helps to manage the weight. It also helps in preventing the accumulation of fat and lipids, which further helps in obesity.
Ayurvedic formulations of Hadjod
The extracts of hadjod are being used in a variety of ayurvedic formulations such as Lakshadi guggul and Panchjeerak gudam. Lakshadi guggul is an effective ayurvedic formulation used in managing a variety of bone related disorders such as bone fractures, weak bones, etc. Pancha Jeeraka gudam is also an ayurvedic formulation in the form of a herbal jam which shows great results in various respiratory and digestion related difficulties. It is also given in the postnatal period. However, with all the benefits mentioned earlier, hadjod should still be used under strict medical supervision.
Dosage of Hadjod
- Dose of hadjod will differ according to the form of the formulation. The decoction of dried stalks of hadjod can be given 20-30 ml two times a day. The juice of hadjod can be given in an amount of 10 – 20 ml two times a day. Hadjod can be used in the powdered form 3-6 gm two times a day. Hadjod can be taken 2 hrs after a meal with warm water.
- Hadjod, as described above, is a very beneficial herb that contains a variety of health benefits. As hadjod is hot in potency, it shall be used with caution and under medical provision. Hadjod as mentioned above is hot in potency, and should be used with caution in pitta prakriti of patients. The extracts of hadjod are also used with caution in pregnancy and lactating mothers. The use of hadjod in excessive amounts or inappropriate doses can lead to various digestive system related difficulties such as Dry mouth, Headache, Dry mouth, Diarrhoea etc.
In a nutshell, it can be concluded that hadjod can be used in a variety of health conditions. It is of great medicinal significance and is very effective in improving the strength of the bones. It is thus effective in managing fractures of the bones. Hadjod has been used traditionally for a long time to improve bone health and manage menstrual difficulties also. However, it should be avoided in pregnancy and lactating mothers and shall be used in pitta prakriti individuals under the supervision of an ayurvedic physician to get best results.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD – Ayurveda) is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Pvt. Ltd. He is Author of the Book “Ayurveda – God’s Manual For Healing”. He is an Ayurveda Expert Serving People worldwide through all the Possible Mediums, Operating from Main Branch in Mohali, India. With his Vast Experience in Herbs and their Applied Uses, he is successfully treating Numerous Patients suffering from Various Ailments. He is Serving the Society with Purest Herbal Supplements for One and only Purpose of Making People know and utilize the Wonderful Benefits of the Ayurvedic Diet, Lifestyle, and Natural Herbs. He Formulates Herbal Supplements himself and also Use Classical Ayurvedic Formulations for Helping People Get Rid of All Types of Health Issues, Restore their Health, Uses and Save themselves from the Worst Side-effects of Chemical Based Treatments. For More Details, visit www.PlanetAyurveda.com.