Eczema is also named as “Atopic dermatitis” a disease of skin that makes your skin red. It is common in children & can occur at any age. Skin diseases are becoming very common now days. The common signs & symptoms that are seen in eczema patients are dryness in skin, severe itching especially at night time, red to brownish-gray patches that are generally seen on the hands, ankles, feet, wrists, neck, upper chest, elbows, face, scalp & eyelids, sometimes small raised bumps that leak fluids, scaly skin, swelling in the skin, etc. Skin is the most important organ in our body as it protects us from irritants, allergens & bacteria.
Eczema is a skin disease that is affected by allergens, irritants & various environmental factors. Food allergies may also be responsible for this condition. The various risk factors that are responsible for eczema are hay fever, asthma, skin infections, allergic contact dermatitis & sleep disorders. In Ayurveda Eczema is correlated with “Vicharchika” skin disorder that is usually caused due to imbalance of vata, pitta & kapha dosha in the body. Mainly pitta dosha is responsible for eczema. For treating eczema, in allopath most of the steroidal medicines & creams are given for subsiding the situation. But it is not the right way as it not treats the disease from root cause. In Ayurveda, there are numerous herbs present in nature that help to heal Eczema naturally. The different herbs that are beneficial for eczema patients are given below in details:
1) Turmeric: Turmeric one of the best herbs that deal with all type of skin disorders. This herb possesses antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antiseptic & immuno-modulator properties. These properties help in dealing with the itching, irritation, inflammation & redness of the skin. So use this herb in different forms.
How to use: a) Prepare powder of pure turmeric & store it in a container. You can use a teaspoonful of this powder for cooking your meals.
b) You can make a paste of pure turmeric powder with milk & apply it over the affected area of the skin. It will reduce redness, itching & inflammation naturally.
2) Aloe vera: Aloe vera is an amazing herb for eczema patients. This herb deal with the redness, itching, inflammation, burning sensation of the skin. It acts as a natural moisturizer that keeps your skin hydrated.
How to use: a) Take fresh pulp of Aloe vera herb & apply it over the affected area of the eczema skin for twenty minutes. After that wash you can wash your skin with water.
b) Prepare fresh juice of Aloe vera & drink 20 ml early in the morning on an empty stomach. This helps in overall detoxification of the body.
3) Neem: Neem is an effective & beneficial herb that deals with all kind of skin disorders. This herb is having properties such as antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antiseptic, anti-bacterial & anti-fungal. As eczema causes irritation in the skin. So use this herb for treating redness, itching, inflammation & irritation.
How to use: a) Prepare fresh juice of Neem at home. Consume 20 ml of this juice regularly for a month. It will help in removing toxins out from the body.
b) Take fresh neem leaves & boil it in water. Use this water for bathing purpose as it will reduce redness, itching, inflammation, burning sensation & irritation of the skin.
4) Manjistha: Manjistha herb is one of the best ayurvedic herbs that deal with all skin diseases. It provides good & effective results in eczema disease. This herb naturally heals eczema. Manjistha herb shows antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antiseptic, & immuno-modulator properties. These properties deal with the inflammation, itching, burning sensation & redness of the skin.
How to use: a) Now a day Manjistha capsules are available in the market. So consume 500mg extract of these capsules once or twice daily with a glass of water.
b) Manjistha creams are also available in the market. So apply this over the affected part of the eczema skin at bedtime.
5) Bittergourd: Bittergourd is beneficial for healing any kind of skin disorder. This herb is bitter in taste so it helps in overall detoxification of the body. It acts as natural blood-purifier. Bittergourd shows antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, blood-purifer & immuno-modulator properties. It reduces redness, itching, inflammation, patches, scaly skin in eczema patients.
How to use: a) Prepare fresh juice of Bittergourd & drink 20 ml early in the morning on an empty stomach.
b) Consume Bittergourd vegetable in your daily routine.
6) Coconut: Coconut acts as a natural moisturizer that keeps your skin hydrated. So this herb is used for removing toxins out from the body. It acts as antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, immuno-modulator, and blood purifer.
How to use: a) Apply coconut oil over the affected area of the patches, scaly skin, redness, irritation, itching & inflammation of the skin.
b) Prepare paste of coconut & apply it over the affected area of the eczema skin. This reduces inflammation & itching of the skin.
7) Sandalwood: Sandalwood shows antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, cooling & calming effects on the body. This herb is an amazing one for skin diseases patients. In Eczema patients it naturally treats the redness, itching, inflammation, scaly patches & reduces burning sensation of the skin.
How to use: a) Prepare a paste from sandalwood by mixing milk in it. Apply this over the affected area of the skin patches for twenty minutes. After that wash your skin with water.
b) Powder form of sandalwood is available in the market. Take a tablespoonful of this powder, mix a teaspoonful of tea tree oil & milk in it. Make a paste & apply it over the affected area of the skin for half an hour. Let it gets dry, wash the area with normal water. It naturally moisturizes your skin & makes your skin glow. This will heal your eczema naturally.
The different ways that are mentioned above is the Ayurvedic Treatment For Eczema with these ayurvedic herbs which are very effective, beneficial, & results giving. So use any of the above for healing your disease naturally without causing any side-effects on the body.
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is an Ayurvedic Physician in Chandigarh and has an experience of 30 years in this field. He is founder of Chandigarh Ayurved Centre. Chandigarh Ayurvedic Centre provides best ayurvedic treatment &panchakarma therapies centre in Chandigarh. Chandigarh Ayurvedic Centre is a leading Multi specialityAyurvedic Clinic of North India.