Everyone keeps talking about our different sense organs, mostly the eyes, the skin and the nose as these are the majorly affected body parts. But, are only these important, is there any other sense organ which has equal importance and needs equal care. Yes, these are our ears. There’s a saying
“To be a Good Writer or Speaker, one needs to be a Good Listener First”
Hearing is one of the most important senses of our life. It is generally said that even the hearing is more essential then vision. How? Have you come across any videos on social channel or even eye witnessed any defense training? You will never find the ears closed, but in many training steps you will find the eyes closed. Why? Is hearing really so important? If yes, how to take a proper care of our hearing?
Before going on that, let us make it also clear that God is a real artist, we can’t understand his philosophy or him, but as per the ancient classical as well as modern scientific studies, it is very clear that if one sense organ of a person does not work well, then all the other sense organs are more stronger than a normal person. It is present in those who are unable to hear by birth and sometimes those who get deaf due to any injury or accident, take some time to have that strength. So, first of all we should be very careful about our ears and never neglect them while caring for other body parts. On the other hand, finding someone around us, who is differently able, that means is facing hearing loss, we should never laugh on him or ignore him, but we need to share humanity.
Theme of World Hearing Day
World Hearing Day is marked on 3rd March of every year to raise awareness about the importance and promotion of hearing and the prevention of deafness and loss of hearing. The theme for the day is always decided by the World Health Organization as it keeps on studying and surveying about the different health problems. Similarly for 2021, the theme is decided as1,
“HEARING CARE FOR ALL”
Some key facts behind the theme of the day in 2021 are
- Good Hearing & Listening is important part of everyone’s life at every stage
- Hearing loss or other ear related disorders can be well avoided through some preventive measures such as protecting ears against loud sounds, following good ear care practices, etc.
- People who feel that they are losing their hearing ability even to a little extent should be more careful about it and get it checked regularly by the health care providers
World Hearing day, 2021 is also more special as it will be the first day to launch the World Report on Hearing. The report aims to reach the maximum people and authorities globally, so that the hearing impairment and loss can also be taken into consideration as an important health concern and the government, the international and national NGOs and the other health development agencies can take initiatives in this field also.
Importance of Hearing
Hearing is a vital element in the service men especially the defense personnel, as we have discussed above also. Other than this hearing and listening to each other plays an essential role in instructive works, teamwork, reporting skills, identification, receiving and responding to various commands and signals, and this is a fundamental to stay engaged and contribute our full participation in the family, social, public as well as professional gatherings. Hearing loss can hinder someone’s ability to participate in various phases of life, listening to various soothing and comfortable sounds around like of loved ones, nature or sometimes motivational things. Moreover this loss can be a big reason for many health issues.
Types of Hearing Loss
There are some categories of loss of hearing that are identified as per the severity of the problem, this includes
1. Mild Hearing Loss
People at this stage do not generally need the hearing aids, they just feel difficult to listen to others while being in noisy surroundings
2. Moderate Hearing Loss
In this stage, people need the hearing aids to listen to others even in the silent surroundings
3. Severe Hearing Loss
At this stage, people need the powerful hearing aids along with the good lip reading technique. These people understand others partially by listening through hearing aids and lip reading
4. Profound Hearing Loss
This is the final stage of hearing loss, where the suffered persons totally rely upon the lip reading and gestures of another person and even the sign language can be a better option for them to understand things well.
Causes of Hearing Loss
As per the studies, it is found that the people who have the hearing impairment by birth or during the lifetime can be due to the following factors:
- Genetic factors
- Rubella and cytomegalovirus infections
- Birth asphyxia which means lack of oxygen at the time of birth
- Severe Jaundice in the neonatal period
- Low weight at the time of birth
- Mismanagement or other prenatal issues
- Chronic ear infections
- Collection of fluid in the ear
- Meningitis and other infections
- Chronic diseases’
- Impacted ear wax
- Ear or Head Trauma or Injury
- Nutritional Deficiencies
- Viral infections
- Habitual of being in the loud and noisy surroundings or always using the earphones and headphones in high volume
Complications of Hearing Loss
The hearing impairment or the loss of hearing can lead to
- Social Isolation
- Stress & Anxiety
- Suicide attempts
- Lower Performance and Participation
- Trouble in retaining memory
- Loss of memory
- Negative attitudes such as anger, irritability, etc.
- Chronic Diseases
How to communicate with the Hearing-Impaired People?
Communication is not a one way thing, but both the speakers and listeners need to be clear with their words and thoughts. Moreover, while communicating with a hearing impaired person, our expression and gestures also need to be clearer than everything else. To communicate with a person who can’t listen to your voice, or has hearing loss or simply what we call him, Deaf. We do not need to get irritated or short tempered; we need to keep patience to communicate with him and to make him feel comfortable talking to you. Here are some steps that can help you to create a better and friendly environment for an hearing – impaired person and to avoid let him feel that he has a disability.
- The very first step is to have their attention, for which, never ignore him while talking to him rather face the person directly and keep a good eye contact. This helps them to understand you well.
- The second thing that we need to be careful about is never to shout thinking that they listen a bit higher. They may listen to your shout but your expressions while shouting will make them uncomfortable with you and you will lose their attention as well as them.
- While talking to a hearing impaired person, always try to keep your expressions clearer and comfortable, never try to hide anything as when they are not listening to your voice they are getting your words mostly through your expressions and your gestures. So, be comfortable in front of them and show that you are interested in communicating with them and not doing it under any pressure.
- Sometimes your gestures may have different meanings, so if at anytime you feel that you are unable to make yourself understood in front of them then don’t get panic or irritated, try some different ways to make things clearer.
FACTS ABOUT HEARING LOSS
There are some major facts as per the WHO report about the hearing loss.2
- Around 360 million people all around the globe are facing the hearing loss, out of which 32 million are the children.
- Chronic ear infections are becoming the leading causes of hearing impairment.
- One in every 3 elderly are affected with the disability of hearing loss
- The major causes that are found responsible for the hearing loss in young generations are the occupational noises, listening to loud music and sounds continuously and the use of some toxic medications
Thus, after going through all the facts and details about the hearing loss and the ways to communicate well with the hearing impaired people. We should also be very aware about the perfect solutions for preventing the chronic ear problems and losing our hearing capacity sooner or with ageing. So, for that the best solutions lie in the nature. There are some Ayurvedic measures and herbs that help in the effective care of your ear as well as treat the ear related problems from their root cause that prevent the risk of hearing loss even with the ageing and also improves the hearing capacity of the people. So, for that you can contact our team of Ayurveda Experts that will tell you the tips for preventing your hearing loss as well as to treat is you are at the mild stage of hearing impairment in a very efficient manner.
So, keep listening, keep enjoying the soothing sounds of Nature and live Happily.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD – Ayurveda) is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Pvt. Ltd. He is Author of the Book “Ayurveda – God’s Manual For Healing”. He is an Ayurveda Expert Serving People worldwide through all the Possible Mediums, Operating from Main Branch in Mohali, India. With his Vast Experience in Herbs and their Applied Uses, he is successfully treating Numerous Patients suffering from Various Ailments. He is Serving the Society with Purest Herbal Supplements for One and only Purpose of Making People know and utilize the Wonderful Benefits of the Ayurvedic Diet, Lifestyle, and Natural Herbs. He Formulates Herbal Supplements himself and also Use Classical Ayurvedic Formulations for Helping People Get Rid of All Types of Health Issues, Restore their Health, Uses and Save themselves from the Worst Side-effects of Chemical Based Treatments. For More Details, visit www.PlanetAyurveda.com.