We all are familiar with the terms Hyperthermia and Hypothermia. These two are the opposite terms. We all know that our average body temperature is 98.6°F (37°C). When our body temperature is lower than the average body temperature than it is considered as Hypothermia condition. When your body temperature rises too high (1040F i.e. 400C) then it is a condition of Hyperthermia. Now here we are discussing the Hyperthermia condition. It’s basically a condition when your body can’t resist their normal temperature and there is fluctuation in your body temperature. This condition becomes severe if you are not very much concern about it. Sometimes it becomes very dangerous when the body temperature rises above 1050F. At this stage, your body needs medical treatments.
Symptoms of Hyperthermia
- In this condition body retains more heat and which finally leads to an increase in your body temperature.
- The most common symptom of hyperthermia is Dry skin. When the body temperature increases than skin automatically becomes dry.
- In this condition, your body is not able to cool itself by sweating. We all know that sweat contains water and salt in it which act as electrolytes. Which lead to dehydration in your body.
- A minor condition of dehydration is ok but if you have a severe condition of dehydration than you need medical concern.
- Another one of common symptom of hyperthermia is heat fatigue and cramps.
- Excessive sweating
- Exhaustion: it is a stage of extreme tiredness and fatigue
- A Headache
- Heat Stroke which is a fluctuation in your pulse rate.
- The severe symptoms of Hyperthermia are organ failure, coma etc.
There are many more symptoms of hyperthermia. In this condition of high body temperature, your body cannot dissipate more heat and ultimately lead to a rise in body temperature. In this condition, you need to cool down your body because if you are not that much concern about this condition than it will become more severe.
Causes of Hyperthermia
- Peoples suffer from this condition when they spend too much time in extreme weather conditions (hot temperature). In hot condition, your body automatically absorbs more heat and unable to dissipate it in proper way. Which finally becomes more dangerous over the time.
- Prolonged exposure in too high temperature
- Excessive Dehydration may also lead to severe hyperthermia.
- Insufficient heat loss from your body.
- Adverse chemical reaction in a body due to drugs.
- One of another cause of hyperthermia is an insufficient amount of sweat gland in your body. Which disturbs your body balance related to heat.
Precautions and Treatments
- If a person having this problem then he/she should be immediately shifted to cold place.
- You should put them to air conditioning room, cool place.
- If the person feels too much heat and fever than you should apply wet cloth on the head, arms, neck and another part of the body. It will help to low down then body temperature.
- There are so many ways through which you can cool down and maintain the body temperature of that person. Such as offering them some fresh juice especially vegetable juice, water etc. which will help to rehydrate their body.
- If the condition is worse than you should take them to medical treatment.
- One suffering with hyperthermia should avoid drinks, alcohol etc.
- Lying down and cool your body
- Take shower and try to low down the body temperature
- Remove hot clothes.
Ayurvedic Concept and Home Remedies
Ayurveda says when the pitta dosha gets aggravated it increases the heat in the body which leads to increase in body temperature. We all know that Ayurveda is a natural healing process, in it natural herbs are used for the treatment. In the case of hyperthermia than there are many pure and natural herbs which helps to maintain the body temperature and reduces the heat which increases the body temperature. The natural herbs are
- Amla which is a rich source of Vitamin C. The various parts of this plant have been used for the treatment of hyperthermia. It has many properties like anti-inflammatory, diuretic, laxative and used for fever.
- Giloy which is consumed as juices. It is a very good source for boosting your immunity and also improve digestion. It also helps to treat chronic fever, reduce stress and anxiety.
- Mung Beans : Have very good antioxidant property. It contains flavonoids in it which help to maintain your body temperature.
- Custard Apple : it is the very good source of Vitamin C. Which is used to reduce the body heat and low down the temperature up to normal range. Also, have antioxidant property in it. It also contains Vitamin B6, which maintain the GABA, a neurotransmitter. This helps to cool down your body temperature.
- Fenugreek Seeds : this is a very good source of phytochemicals mostly phenols and alkaloids. Which maintain your body heat within a few hours. Mostly leaves and seeds of fenugreek are used for the treatment of hyperthermia.
Difference Between Hyperthermia and Fever
There are some people who correlate the hyperthermia with the fever but actually, it’s not a fever. In this condition, your body temperature remains unchanged i.e. it is always at high peak. Yeah, we can say that people feel fever in this condition due to same symptoms like a headache, nausea, fatigue and high body temperature. But in the actual condition, it is more severe than normal fever. This may lead to increase in your body temperature more than 1050F.
- Excessive exercise increase body temperature
- Hot water bath
- Running for long distance
- Playing games like football, basketball and cricket increase the risk of hyperthermia.
- Excessive alcohol and beverage consumption
So these are some common risk factors of hyperthermia condition. So avoids all these factors if you are having this problem. Do not take it as normal because sometimes it becomes worse and you can’t handle it at all.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD – Ayurveda) is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Pvt. Ltd. He is Author of the Book “Ayurveda – God’s Manual For Healing”. He is an Ayurveda Expert Serving People worldwide through all the Possible Mediums, Operating from Main Branch in Mohali, India. With his Vast Experience in Herbs and their Applied Uses, he is successfully treating Numerous Patients suffering from Various Ailments. He is Serving the Society with Purest Herbal Supplements for One and only Purpose of Making People know and utilize the Wonderful Benefits of the Ayurvedic Diet, Lifestyle, and Natural Herbs. He Formulates Herbal Supplements himself and also Use Classical Ayurvedic Formulations for Helping People Get Rid of All Types of Health Issues, Restore their Health, Uses and Save themselves from the Worst Side-effects of Chemical Based Treatments. For More Details, visit www.PlanetAyurveda.com.