Nutritionist’s experts in London can help with IBS. Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is now so common that it affects up to one third of the UK population and the number of people with IBS is still on the increase. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is supposed to affect 10-20% of people in the UK.
IBS symptoms vary from person to person and can range from mild to severe. There are a wide-ranging variety of symptoms associated with the condition; some people suffer only mild symptoms such as bloating or gas, while others are crippled with pain that affects their everyday life.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease is a combined term used to describe Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis (UC). Both diseases show similar clinical symptoms but result from dissimilar underlying pathologies. The inflammation associated with IBD is supposed to be due to the unsuitable activation of the mucosal immune system in response to antigens.
In Ayurveda, IBS is known as Grahani which means retaining the ability of the small intestine or duodenum. If the function of these organs are hampering the bowel loses its control and its absorption is weakened, the condition is considered as Grahani.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
Generally, symptoms include:
- An urgent need to go to the toilet, and a sense of relief afterwards
- Abdominal pain and cramps that feel like your stomach is contracting
- Change in bowel habits, from constipation to diarrhea, or a combination of both
- Hard or loose stools on a regular basis
- Passing clear or white mucus in your stools
These symptoms can also leave you feeling unwell generally and wider issues can arise such as:
- Feeling low of energy, due to lack of nutrient absorption, or just from managing symptoms
- Feeling of nausea
- Frequent urination, and need to pee urgently, or incontinence
Other associated symptoms can include:
- Poor appetite
CAUSES OF IBS IN LONDON
- Irregular meal timings
- Intake of food in indigestion
- Intake of food without feeling hungry
- Intake of contra-indicated food like fruits & milk, fish & milk etc
- Intake of food late night
- Excess consumption of water
- Eating over-hurriedly
- Over fasting
- Regular intake of heavy to digest food
- Intake of stale food / refrigerated food
- Regular intake of spicy, oily, fermented & preserved food
- Excess intake of tea and coffee
- Habit of sleeping immediately post lunch
- Smoking, drinking, excess intake of non-veg food
- Holding up natural urges like urine , bowels or vomit and eating
- Stress physically/ mentally
- Staying awake at night, disturbed sleep
- Irregular & sedentary lifestyle
- Lack of proper hygiene
- Feelings of stress, fear, sorrow, grief and anxiety
COMPLICATION OF IBS
Untreated IBS may lead to complications such as:
- Skin disease
- Anaemia (low iron levels)
- Oedema (fluid retention)
- Anorectal disease (like haemorrhoids, fissure or fistula in anus)
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal tumor
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT OF IBS
Ayurvedic treatment of IBS involves:
- relieving aggravated body energies,
- restoring the function of the digestive system,
- Eliminating accumulated toxins.
As stress is a significant cause of IBS and an important line of treatment consists of lifestyle guidance and herbs to nourish the mind and nervous system.
HERBAL TREATMENT FOR IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME
1. Detox Standard Powder –
These herbal sachets having anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antacid like properties. It mainly affects in lowering the pitta dosha of the body and maintains proper digestion of the body.
Recommended Dosage –Take one sachet twice daily with normal water.
2. Puran Pachak –
Puran Pachak is a herbo-mineral Syrup helps in Digestion, Supports the Digestive system, and maintains the doshas in our body. It also helps to remove out impurities or ama from the body. This syrup reduces the Acidity, Detoxify the blood and also supports the body health. It shows Antacid, Digestive, Anti-inflammatory, Analgesic, Expectorant, and Antioxidant properties helps to maintain healthy Digestive system in the body.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice daily.
3. Panchsakar Churna –
This is a classical herbal churna prepared from ingredients such as Saindhavan Lavana (Rock Salt), Swarnapatri (Cassia angustifolia), Shatapushpa (Anethum sowa), Shunti (Zingiber officinale), Balaharitaki (Terminalia chebula). These all in combination deal with problems like loss of appetite, abdominal pain, bloating, flatulence, constipation, weak digestion, etc
Recommended Dosage – Take a half teaspoon of this churna twice daily with normal water.
4. Kutaj Ghan Vati –
Kutaj Ghan vati is very useful in curing diarrhea, intestinal infection, and dysentery. These herbal tablets deal with all signs & symptoms related to diarrhea patients. Kutaj ghan vati contains ingredients like Kutaj (Holarrhena antidysenterica), Ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum) that manage the symptoms like abdominal pain, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, loose stools, general weakness, fatigue, etc The herbs in these tablets show antioxidant, anti-diarrheal, anti-inflammatory, etc properties.
Recommended Dosage – Take two tablets twice a day before meal with water.
5. Sheet Dhara Syrup –
This herbal syrup is prepared from ingredients such as ajwain satav, mushak kapoor, peppermint, etc. that naturally relieve the symptoms like bloating, blenching, nausea, vomiting, feeling of discomfort, etc. The regular use of this herbal syrup neutralizes the high acid content, reduces
abdominal pain, & cramps.
Recommended Dosage – Take half teaspoonful of this syrup in half a cup of water. Drink this mixture twice daily on an empty stomach.
6. Digestion care tablet –
This tablet is unique blend of best digestive herbs like kutaz chal, bilav, dhania, mustak, piper mint, and dadima that maintain natural stomach ph and aid digestion of all types of food. The herbs present in this control acidity, gas, flatulence, and constipation. These complex problems are the root cause of all diseases. If the digestive system is proper it leads to proper assimilation of the nutrients in the body. As per Ayurveda digestive disorders are due to the imbalance of Pitta doshas. Ama formation leads to digestive disorders.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily with plain water
PANCHAKARMA IN IBS
Ayurveda believes it is best to treat the root cause rather than the symptoms of disease. Panchakarma is necessary for elimination of toxins from the body and re-establishing colon health. Panchakarma treatment for IBS emphasizes medicated enema which is a colon cleansing therapy. Ayurvedic enema provides herbal cleansing and nourishment directly into the intestine and colon, without having to pass through the stomach and upper gastro-intestinal tract. With a therapeutic ayurvedic enema, a cleansing and healing message is sent directly to the colon.
Panchakarma therapy for IBS might include
- Abhyanga (therapeutic massage with ayurvedic oils)
- Shirodhara (warm oil therapy on forehead)
- Chakra basti (warm oil treatment around the naval and associated marma points) to relax the digestive system
MEDICINES FOR IBS SHOULD HAVE FOLLOWING QUALITIES:
- Deepana – carminative property that improves digestive fire and reduces flatulence
- Pachana – to promote digestion
- Sangrahi – intestinal restorative which increases the absorption capacity of the intestines
AYURVEDIC HERBS RECOMMENDED FOR IBS
- Kutaja- Holarrhena antidysenterica
- Bilva- Aegle marmelos
- Musta- Cyperus rotundus
- Dhataki- Woodfordia fruticosa
- Patha- Cissampelos pareira
- Lodhra- Symplocos racemosa
- Pushkaramoola-Inula racemosa
- Chavya- Piper chaba
- Daruharidra- Berberis aristata
- Shalmali- Shalmalia malabarica
BEST DOCTOR FOR IBS TREATMENT
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 50,000 plus patients worldwide. Vaidya Karanvir Singh believes in helping as many patients as he can to give them a healthy life through Ayurved. Prevent and treat diseases and help as many people as possible by bringing them knowledge about nature, about herbs, about healing without medicines and preventing diseases to occur by improving diet and lifestyle. Developing new herbal and Ayurvedic combinations to treat patients worldwide and adding better alternatives to current medicines, without producing more diseases and curing the existing ones.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh main aim is to provide a clear vision to the patient about their disease & treat them with pure Ayurvedic medicines.
In this view Vaidya Karanvir Singh thinks that if you take proper Ayurvedic medicines along with the Panchakarma therapies you can see good, effective, & long-lasting results in few days or a month.
Developing new herbal and ayurvedic combination to treat different type of diseases, without producing new one
Vaidya Karanvir Singh treatment is based upon treating ama (toxins), improves agni (digestive fire), and make body immune that fight against many diseases like this. In Ayurveda, the Agni (or digestive fire) is responsible for converting food into energy and nutrition. When people eat something, the food is detained in the duodenum until it’s completely digested by Agni.
When digestion is complete, the food passes onto the next stage of digestion. If some cause the food isn’t completely digested people may become sick. This may indication that Agni is weak.
As a result of the incomplete digestion, body may develop toxins. The symptoms of IBS may be the result of a weak Agni and the resulting buildup of these toxins.
That’s why the first step in Ayurvedic medicine is to treat the Ama. Then, you treat the doshas. Then balance the three doshas
with these treatments people may see improving symptoms in a matter of days.
LIFESTYLE MANAGEMENT THROUGH AYURVEDA
- Eat light to digest food & freshly cooked food
- Eat only when hungry
- Avoid long intervals between two meals
- Eat fresh fruits & vegetables everyday
- Include old rice / jowar, moongdal, bittergourd, pumpkin, pomegranate, gooseberry, pudina, turmeric, coriander, cumin seeds, hing (asafoetida), coconut, rock salt, cow ghee, cow milk, fresh buttermilk in daily food
- Drink little lukewarm water after meals. It aids proper digestion of food.
- Walk slowly for 15-20 min after every meal. It aids digestion of food.
- Exercise for 30 min daily
MEDICATIONS APPROVED FOR CERTAIN PEOPLE WITH IBS INCLUDE:
- Alosetron (Lotronex) – Alosetron relax the colon and slow the movement of waste through the lower bowel.
- Eluxadoline (Viberzi) – to treat irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea
- Rifaximin (Xifaxan) – Rifaximin treats diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome by stopping the growth of the bacteria that cause diarrhea
- Lubiprostone (Amitiza) – Lubiprostone increase secretion of fluid into the bowel. This increases the movement of the bowels, making stools easier to pass. It is helpful for people for whom constipation remains a problem.
- Linaclotide (Linzess) – it is used to treat certain types of bowel problems. It works by increasing fluid in your intestines and helping speed up movement of food through the gut.
- Antispasmodic – Chamomile is an effective anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic traditional medicine used for curing bowel disorders
- Antidepressant – antidepressants for their IBS symptoms have reported significant improvement in their abdominal pain and reduction in other IBS symptoms, such as diarrhea, constipation, bloating, nausea or urgency.
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is an Ayurvedic Physician in Chandigarh and has an experience of 30 years in this field. He is founder of Chandigarh Ayurved Centre. Chandigarh Ayurvedic Centre provides best ayurvedic treatment &panchakarma therapies centre in Chandigarh. Chandigarh Ayurvedic Centre is a leading Multi specialityAyurvedic Clinic of North India.