Introduction: Ulcerative colitis (UC) is the condition that causes irritation and ulcers or open sores in the large intestine. It comes under a group of conditions called inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). It mainly causes diarrhea with blood, mucus and cramping and urgency. Sometimes all these symptoms can wake up a patient of ulcerative colitis at night to go to the bathroom as well.
A person with ulcerative colitis have inflammation usually started in the rectum part of colon which is close to anus. The inflammation has tendency to spread and affect a portion or the entire colon. When the inflammation started in the rectum and lower part of the colon it is known as ulcerative proctitis. If the inflammation is in entire large intestine is it is called pancolitis. If the inflammation is restricted only to left side of the colon it is called limited or distal colitis.
- The severity of the disease is directly propotional to the amount of inflammation and lotion of the inflammation. A Person could have very mild inflammation in the entire colon (large area) or severe inflammation in the rectum (small area).
- Ulcerative colitis has tendency to flare up (active disease), when symptoms get worsen.
- Ulcerative colitis causes problems outside the colon such as Arthritis, inflammation, liver disease, osteoporosis.
- Ulcerative colitis is mostly associated crohn’s disease (another type of bowel inflammation)
- Difference between ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease: Ulcerative colitis is continuous inflammation of the colon whereas there are healthy parts of the intestine mixed in between inflamed areas in crohn’s disease
Risk factors for Ulcerative colitis:
- a close relative suffering with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or genetic inheritance.
- age between 15-30 years or more than 60 years
- eating high fat diet
- frequent use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) like ibuprofen
- overactive immune system
- Environmental factors that may trigger immune system like bacteria, virus etc.
Sign and Symptoms:
- bloody stools
- abdominal pain
- increased abdominal sounds
- rectal pain
- weight loss
- nausea and decreased appetite
- skin problems
- mouth sores
- joint pain
- joint swelling
- eye inflammation
Ayurveda and Ulcerative colitis:
Ayurveda is a science of natural healing and health maintenance. According to Ayurveda healthy digestion plays an important role in establishing good health and well-being. When the person’s digestive system fails to work optimally, there is congestion in the body that blocks the Srotas (microcirculation) and inhibiting toxins movement out of the body. Therefore, it is important to establish good digestion.
Ayurveda considered Ulcerative colitis as “pittaj grahani”. Out of three body elements vata, pitta and Kapha, in ulcerative colitis pitta dosha (the heat element) is elevated. Pitta fuels all the biochemical processes in the body like biotranformation, digestion, metabolism, temperature, vision, intelligence and courage etc.
Causes of pittaja grahani:
अग्निमाप्लावयद्धन्ति जलं तप्तमिवानलम्||”
- Eating spicy (katu) food
- Undigested food (ajeerna)
- Food causing eructation (vidahi)
- Sour (amla) and alkali (kshara) food
All these factors hampers the function of AGNI (digestive fire), creates a condition similar to hot water extinguishes fire
Symptoms of pittaja grahani:
“सोऽजीर्णं नीलपीताभं पीताभः सार्यते द्रवम्|
- The stool consists of Undigested food particles, bluish or yellowish in colour
- Consistency of stool is loose or watery
- Eructations have foul smell and sour taste
- burning sensation in the cardiac region (retro-sternal)
Treatment of Ulcerative colitis in Modern medicine:
· 5-aminosalicylates: sulfasalazine (Azulfidine), mesalamine (Delzicol, Rowasa, others) etc
· Corticosteroids: prednisone and budesonide
Immune system suppressors:
· Azathioprine (Azasan, Imuran), mercaptopurine (Purinethol, Purixan)
· Cyclosporine (Gengraf, Neoral)
· “Small molecule” medications (tofacitinib, ozanimod)
· Infliximab (Remicade), golimumab (Simponi) and adalimumab (Humira)
· Ustekinumab (Stelara)
-Anti-diarrheal medications: loperamide (Imodium A-D)
-Pain relievers: acetaminophen (Tylenol)
-Proctocolectomy: Surgical removal of entire colon
Management of Ulcerative colitis with Chandigarh Ayurved Centre:
1. Detox Premium Powder:
These are herbal-mineral sachet especially designed for the ulcerative colitis patients. The various ingredients used for the formation of these sachets are prawal pishti, shukta pishti, Giloy satv, kehrva pishti, Jahar Mohra pishti, sutshekhar ras, shankh bhasma, kamdudha ras, moti bhasma that in combination provide good relief on the signs and symptoms of ulcerative colitis patients.
- Shukta pishti: The bhasma is prepared from pearl oyster shell calcium. This pishti shows antioxidant & anti-inflammatory properties that give deal with the ulcerative colitis patients.
- Prawal pishti: It is made from coral calcium that reduces bleeding associated with ulcerative colitis patients.
- Giloy satv: This herbal satv remove all toxins from the body. It reduces excessive Pitta from the body associated with ulcerative colitis.
- Jahar Mohra pishti: The antidiarrheal property of this pishti stops loose stools that are the main symptoms in ulcerative colitis patient.
- Kehrva pishti: This pishti provides good results in rectal bleeding, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, and abdominal inflammation related to ulcerative colitis patients.
- Sutshekhar ras: This preparation reduces bloating & gastritis. It provides calming effect on the body.
- Akik pishti: It is a mineral-based medicine that reduces excessive heat, weakness, & general debility.
- Kamdudha ras: This ras is beneficial in burning sensation, loose stools, bleeding tendencies related to ulcerative colitis patients.
- Moti bhasma: The anti-inflammatory property of this herb reduces inflammation in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
2. Ulcer Heal Tablet:
Ulcerative colitis occurs when the colon become inflamed and there is a formation of ulcers on the inner lining of the colon. The large intestine is affected rather than the small intestine. These are painful, swollen, and leads to fullness and a perpetual feeling of going to pass stools. Ulcers heal tablets of CAC protect the endothelial layer, cure ulcers, and restores body metabolism.
Recommended Dosage : Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water 30 mins after a meal.
3. Kutaja Ghan Vati:
It is an herbal formulation that is safe without any side effects. It is prepared from ingredients like Kutaj, Shankh bhasma, & Musta. These ingredients help to treat chronic diarrhea associated with ulcerative colitis. It is also helpful in ama digestion i.e. removal of toxins from the body, rectal bleeding, colon inflammation and abdominal cramps.
Recommended Dosage : Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water 30 mins after a meal.
4. Stop Bleeding Tablets
CAC stop bleeding tablet is a pure herbal formulation that acts as an anticoagulant in nature. it helps to stop or reduce heavy bleeding. when there is bleeding, the body forms clots to stop the bleeding. in some of these clots leads to bleeding after breakage. therefore stop bleeding tablet helps in stopping the clots from breaking and thus reduce the excessive unwanted bleeding. these tablets have anti-inflammatory, pain killer, anticoagulant properties. It also pacifies pitta doshas and helps in detoxification of rakta dhatu (blood tissue).
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with plain water after meal.
5. Puran Pachak:
Puran Pachak is a herbo-mineral Syrup of 200 ml and is Purely Ayurvedic formulation. CAC Puran Pachak syrup helps in Digestion, Supports the Digestive system, and Maintains the doshas in our body. It also helps to remove out impurities or ama from the body. This syrup reduce the Acidity, Detoxify the blood and also Supports the body health. It shows Antacid, Digestive, Anti-inflammatory, Analgesic, Expectorant, and Antioxidant properties. This syrup is made up of pure ayurvedic herbs such as Mulethi, Saunf, Vasakha, Ajwayan, Prpati etc. that helps to maintain the Digestive system and in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
6. Digestion Support Tablet:
This tablet is unique blend of best digestive herbs like kutaz chal, bilav, dhania, mustak, shankh bhasm, piper mint, and dadim that maintain natural Ph balance in the stomach and aid digestion of all types of food. The herbs present in this control acidity, gas, flatulence and constipation.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
7. Pitta Balance Tablet:
Pitta doshas is responsible for digestion, metabolism, blood quality, thirst, appetite, eyesight, skin color and quality, body temperature, and mental abilities of intelligence and courage. Pitta doshas is composed of a fire element that digests almost everything that a person eats or drink. The eaten food is transformed into energy for the body to use in various functions of the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
8. Pittashekhar Rasa:
These are herbal tablets prepared from ingredients like Sootshekhar rasa, Bilva majja, Kalmegha, Shankha bhasma, Kapardika bhasma, etc. that balances pitta dosha in the body. Regular use of these tablets improves digestion, enhances appetite, carminative, reduces acidity, prevents gastric ulcers, reduces heartburn, acts as a laxative, & reduces pain in the abdomen, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is an Ayurvedic Physician in Chandigarh and has an experience of 30 years in this field. He is founder of Chandigarh Ayurved Centre. Chandigarh Ayurvedic Centre provides best ayurvedic treatment &panchakarma therapies centre in Chandigarh. Chandigarh Ayurvedic Centre is a leading Multi specialityAyurvedic Clinic of North India.