What is Ulcerative Colitis
Ulcerative Colitis is a chronic disease of the large intestine or colon, where in the inflammation is brought on by weak or faulty immune system, thereby creating sores or ulcers in the lining of the colon. The typical symptoms include discomfort in abdomen, severe diarrhea, rectal bleeding and formation of pus that oozes out of the ulcers.
Ulcerative Colitis is linked to genetic, environmental and lifestyle factors. The best way to deal with the disorder is to inculcate certain dietary and lifestyle changes. Exercise, stress reduction techniques like yoga, meditation, tai chi, deep breathing helps in managing the symptoms of UC.
Top 7 Home Remedies for Ulcerative Colitis
There are several effective home remedies that help in relieving the symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis instantly. Top 7 home remedies are listed below:
- The best in home treatment of Ulcerative Colitis is to consume Aloe Vera. Aloe Vera is one of the best-known anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and antifungal herbs that have a calm soothing effect on the stomach. Aloe Vera is called “Plant of Immortality”. It works towards relieving pain in the intestine and fastens the healing process.
- Aloe Vera has anti-oxidant property and helps in lowering the production of eicosanoids and interleukin 8. It is a natural detoxifier and very safe to be used by adults as well as small children. Aloe Vera can be used as an immunomodulator to stop immune response.
How To Take
- One can prepare Aloe Vera Gel at home by simply scraping the colorless gel from the thick aloe Vera leaves and mixing it in warm water.
- This solution should be consumed two a day for at least two weeks.
- Aloe Vera juice can be directly consumed (10 to 20 ml) daily or add two spoons of fresh aloe vera juice in a glass of water and take it.
- One may add some turmeric powder to the aloe Vera juice or gel. Turmeric has a powerful compound called “Curcumin” that helps in fighting inflammation. Turmeric is known as an effective antibiotic and antiviral agent with excellent curative powers and no known side effects.
- Turmeric alleviates the symptoms like mucosal ulceration, and thickening of intestinal walls. It has gastroprotective property and protests from gastric infections.
How to Take
- A spoon of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk before going to bed is an excellent remedy to fight infections and inflammations. It should be done for one week only.
- The second highly recommended home remedy to manage symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis is to consume Fenugreek Seeds or Meth. Fenugreek seeds are excellent sources of protein, calcium, iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and other essential nutrients.
- They form a protective covering along the digestive tract and decrease inflammation. They speed up the recovery process
How to Take
- One can add a spoon of fenugreek seed in a cup of hot water and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain and drink it like an herbal tea every day for two weeks, preferably on an empty stomach. You can add some jaggery powder for taste.
- Ginger is the number one recommendation in case of any kind of stomach disorders due to its ginger rhizomes which are rich cytotoxic agents. It has amazing antibiotic, anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
How to Take
- One can prepare ginger tea by adding some fresh grated ginger in boiling water and let it steep for a few minutes, strain it and drink it as is or add some honey or lemon juice for taste.
- It is recommended to drink the mixture after foods to help with digestion. The mixture should be taken daily for one week.
- Ginger Supplements are readily available in the market.
- Chamomile has amazing curative power and is an excellent anti-inflammatory herb which has a soothing effect on the intestinal tract or stomach. It gives instant relief from the pain one experience when Ulcerative Colitis symptoms flares up.
- Chamomile relieves cramping and irritation of the intestines along with keeping the ulcers from developing further. It boosts the ulcer healing.
How to Take
- Chamomile Tea can be prepared simply by boiling two spoons of Chamomile flower powder in water, straining it and drinking it as is or by adding some honey for taste.
- The tea should be taken twice daily for at least a week.
Wheat Grass Juice:
- Wheat Grass is known for its anti-oxidant properties which makes it a good recommendation for treating and managing symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis.
- Wheat grass juice helps in reducing abdominal pain, diarrhea and rectal bleeding. Wheat grass oil is soft on the stomach and has a soothing effect on the ulcers.
How to Take
- It is advised to take 3 to 4 spoons of wheat grass juice daily. The dosage may be increased with time on the doctor’s recommendations.
- One may mix 2 spoons of undiluted wheat grass juice powder in a glass of warm water and consume the mixture twice daily for a week.
- Olive oil possesses immunomodulatory and anti-inflammatory properties and so it is considered to be one of the most effective home remedies for mild and moderate ulcerative colitis.
- The Oleic acid dampens the bowel inflammation by blocking chemicals which stimulate inflammation Oleocanthal is a natural low dose anti-inflammatory that helps in relieving pain around the body.
- Olive oil is loaded with monounsaturated fats, and it also speeds up digestive transit time.
How to Take
- It is recommended to consume 2 spoons of extra virgin olive oil on a daily basis to get relief from symptoms associated with ulcerative colitis.
- One may even mix 2 spoons of virgin olive oil with a glass of warm water and drink it daily for one week.
- Remaining hydrated is one of the best ways towards faster recovery.The patients should strictly avoid food allergens and cut down on refined carbohydrates from the diet.
Natural or Home remedies for Ulcerative Colitis may or may not be the best treatment approach, but they definitely help in managing the symptoms and reducing the frequency of flares in patients.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD – Ayurveda) is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Pvt. Ltd. He is Author of the Book “Ayurveda – God’s Manual For Healing”. He is an Ayurveda Expert Serving People worldwide through all the Possible Mediums, Operating from Main Branch in Mohali, India. With his Vast Experience in Herbs and their Applied Uses, he is successfully treating Numerous Patients suffering from Various Ailments. He is Serving the Society with Purest Herbal Supplements for One and only Purpose of Making People know and utilize the Wonderful Benefits of the Ayurvedic Diet, Lifestyle, and Natural Herbs. He Formulates Herbal Supplements himself and also Use Classical Ayurvedic Formulations for Helping People Get Rid of All Types of Health Issues, Restore their Health, Uses and Save themselves from the Worst Side-effects of Chemical Based Treatments. For More Details, visit www.PlanetAyurveda.com.