Testosterone is the main male sex hormone, but females also have small amounts of it. The testicles primarily make testosterone in men. Women’s ovaries also make testosterone, though in much smaller amounts. The production of testosterone starts to increase significantly during puberty, and begins to dip after age 30.
Testosterone is most often associated with sex drive, and plays a vital role in sperm production. It also affects bone and muscle mass, the way men store fat in the body, and even red blood cell production. A man’s testosterone levels can also affect his mood. The adrenal glands also produce small amounts. During puberty in boys, testosterone is one of the main drivers of physical changes like increased muscle, deeper voice and hair growth. In adults, healthy levels are important for general health and sexual function. It also plays important role in female health and sexual well-being
Causes of Low Testosterone Levels:
- Chronic health conditions
- kidney disease
- Excess alcohol consumption
- cirrhosis of the liver
- Injury to testis
- infection of the testicles
- disorders that affect the hormones, such as pituitary tumors or high prolactin levels
- Klinefelter syndrome
Symptoms of Low Testosterone Level:
Low levels of testosterone levels, can produce a variety of symptoms in men, including:
- Decreased sex drive
- Less energy
- weight gain
- Mood Swings
- low self-esteem
- less body hair
- thinner bones
- erectile dysfunction
- Low Sperm Count
- enlarged or swollen breast tissue
How to increase Testosterone Naturally:
- Exercise and Weight Lifting- regular exercise and weight lifting helps you to boost testosterone levels
- Eat protein, Fat and Carbs- Eating enough protein can help maintain healthy levels and aid in fat loss, which is also associated with your testosterone. Carb intake can help optimize testosterone. Healthy fats are also beneficial for testosterone and health.
- Minimize Stress and Cortisol Levels- diet based on whole foods, regular exercise, good sleep, laughter and a balanced lifestyle, all of which can reduce stress and improve your health and testosterone levels. Unnatural elevations in cortisol can quickly reduce testosterone.
- Get Some Sun or Take a Vitamin D Supplement- To boost testosterone and reap the benefits of vitamin D, try to get regular exposure to sunlight or take around 3,000 IU of a vitamin D3 supplement daily.
- Take Vitamin and Mineral Supplements: Zinc and vitamin B supplements increases sperm quality. Zinc also boosts testosterone in athletes and those who are deficient in zinc. Vitamins A, C and E can play a role in your sex hormone and testosterone levels, although more research is needed. Vitamin D and zinc supplements are the best to boost your testosterone levels.
- Get Plenty of Restful, High-Quality Sleep- about 7–10 hours of sleep per night is best for long-term health and to your testosterone.
- Follow a Healthy Lifestyle and Avoid Estrogen-like Compounds- A healthy sex life plays an important role in regulating your sex hormone and testosterone levels.
Herbal treatment to increase Testosterone:
- Gokshura (Tribulus Terrestris): This herb is valued as one of the best natural testosterone boosters. It is a tropical herb used since ancient times in traditional medicine, Tribulus Terrestris has the amazing potential to boost testosterone production, increase in sperm count, improve muscle mass and promote libido and vitality in men. The leaf, fruit and root of the plant are available in the form of herbal teas, capsules and tablets.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): Ashwagandha in Sanskrit means “smell of the horse” that shows its inimitable smell and ability to increase strength. It is also valuable for luteinizing hormone and rejuvenates sexual hormone balance in men. Ashwagandha has many impressive health benefits to boost your energy, concentration, and stamina. Ashwagandha beats stress and anxiety, increases sperm motility and promotes better sperm quality.
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus): It works wonders for those women under constant stress and suffering from infertility issues related to stress. Shatavari is known for supporting the female reproductive system, It helps in preventing irregular menstrual cycle, managing premenstrual syndrome, treating menstrual cramps. Shatavari is a true blessing for those suffering from miscarriages. Shatavari is also beneficial for men as it improves testosterone levels.
- Shilajit: It has a tremendous effect on Male Harmones, Anaemia, Alziehmers disease, improves brain functions Due to its anti-inflammatory properties it works on inflamed lymph nodes as well. It balances blood sugar, increases absorption of nutrients, helps in detoxification, and helps in reducing mood swings.
- Kaunch beej: Kaunch beej or Cowhage is widely known as “The magic velvet bean”. Kaunch beej increases sexual desire as well as the quality and quantity of sperm due to its aphrodisiac property. It helps in the management of nervous disorders like Parkinson’s diseases and controls the symptoms of arthritis. The most effective way of consuming Kaunch beej powder is with milk.
- Akarkara (Anacyclus pyrethrum) : It is an herb that is said to improves male vitality and boost testosterone levels. It works well in enhancing hormonal regulation for males and overall sexual health. It can also help detoxify the body, correct the metabolism and maintain the health of the nervous system.
- Shweta Musli (Chlorophytum borivilianum) : This is a traditionally used herb for its benefits in male sexual and general health. Extract of this plant improves male sexual health, by increasing testosterone levels.It also helps in boosting vitality and improving sexual performance.
Diet for increase in Testosterone levels:
- Ginger- adding ginger in your diet, will improve sperm health and increases testosterone levels.
- Pomegranates- eating pomegranates helps u increase sexual function, fertility and increases testosterone levels.
- Leafy green vegetables- eating vegetables such as spinach, swiss chard helps in increasing body’s level of testosterone.
- Olive oil increases male reproductive health and boost serum testosterone levels.
- Daily intake of fresh Onion juice increases low testosterone levels.
- Almonds have high levels of zinc which is known to raise testosterone levels.
- Bananas contain enzyme called bromelain which is known to boost testosterone levels.
- Porridge Oats- Oats are an excellent source of vitamin B, which is a good source of testosterone production.
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is an Ayurvedic Physician in Chandigarh and has an experience of 30 years in this field. He is founder of Chandigarh Ayurved Centre. Chandigarh Ayurvedic Centre provides best ayurvedic treatment &panchakarma therapies centre in Chandigarh. Chandigarh Ayurvedic Centre is a leading Multi specialityAyurvedic Clinic of North India.