Today in this era when people are too much into junk food and disturbed lifestyle, usually complain about IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) which affects our large intestine. IBS is an idiopathic, functional, gastrointestinal disorder which is characterized by abdominal pain and altered bowel habits.
According to Ayurveda, Agni (AMA) is the base (mool) of life. As per Ayurveda “Jathar Agni” is digestive fire which is present in stomach and duodenum. Grahani is the main seat of Agni and both are interdependent. Ayurveda says, the small intestine is correlated to Grahani, because of its properties to restrain the food that we eat. Digestion and absorption of food is done in Grahani. It is nourished by the strength of Agni. ‘Mandagni’ is imbalanced or vitiated form of Agni, which means weak digestive fire. The food is not digested properly due to Mandagni that leads to AMA Dosha (accumulation of toxins), it results to most of the diseases. Irritable Bowel Syndrome treatment involves alleviating the aggravated body energies, restoring the function of the digestive system and the elimination of accumulated toxins. Major cause of this disorder is stress; lifestyle guidance and herbs to nourish the mind and nervous system is part of treatment.
SYSPTOMS WHICH BRINGS IBS INTO NOTICE
- Abdominal pain,
- Cramping or bloating is on and off
- Excess gas
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Mucus in the stool
- Feeling of unclear bowel
WHAT ARE THE REASONS OR CAUSES WHICH RESULTS TO IBS
- Muscle contractions in the intestine-The intestines are the layers of muscle that contract as they move food through your digestive tract. The contractions are stronger and long lasting than the normal which can cause gas, bloating and diarrhea. Weak intestinal contractions can slow down the food passage which leads to hard and dry stools.
- Nervous system- Abnormality of the nerves in the digestive system may result to discomfort that is abdominal stretches which is because of gas or stool. The coordination between brains and intestines be very weak which can result to disturb digestive system, resulting in pain, diarrhea or constipation.
- Toxins accumulating in tissue blocking the circulation.
- Poor nutrition, like consumption of heavy food, overeating, consumption of improper food, consumption of too many fluids or fluids that are too cold.
- Poor digestion as a result the intake of improper food at improper times, or skipping meals
- Imbalance of the nervous system
- Accumulation of physical and mental stress
- Low immunity (low ojas)
- Disruption of natural biological rhythm
WHEN SHOULD ONE SEE A DOCTOR
I would suggest that if one is facing any of below shared symptoms should always consult the doctor and get treated-
- Weight loss
- Diarrhea at night
- Rectal bleeding
- Iron deficiency anemia
- Unexplained vomiting
- Difficulty swallowing
- Persistent pain that isn’t relieved by passing gas or a bowel movement
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR IBS
As per Ayurveda IBS is because of imbalance and vitiation of doshas (Vata, Pitta & Kapha). Chandigarh Ayurveda offers the best combination of effective herbal remedies which will work together for Ayurvedic Treatment of IBS “Grahani” (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). The Ayurvedic medicines provided by us are 100 percent pure and natural products. All of them is safe to use and free of side effects. The formulation of the medicines is done under the supervision of professional and certified doctor. All the medicines prescribed are made without additional chemicals or additives or preservatives in it.
It is an Ayurvedic medicine in form of herbal tablets which are made using- Sootshekhar rasa, Bilva majja, Kalmegh, Shankha bhasma, Kapardika bhasma, etc which will work together to treat IBS. Pittashekhar Rasa functions bybalancing the Pitta dosha. When it is used regularly under the guidance of physician it improves digestion, enhances appetite, carminative, reduces acidity, prevents gastric ulcers, reduces heartburn, acts as a laxative, & reduces pain in the abdomen, etc. Pittashekhar Rasa
Is helpful in balancing Vata, Pitta & Kapha
- Aam Pachak (Detoxifier)
- Digestive Stimulant
- Cholagogue (promotes the discharge of bile)
Dose: 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
This Churna is an Ayurvedic appetizer It is a herbal churna prepared using multiple herbs as ingredients – Vacha (Acorus calamus), Pippali (Piper longum), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), etc. The used herbs work together in form of churna to balances Vata & Kapha doshas. Agnimukha Churna is beneficialin case of indigestion, anorexia, abdominal pain, constipation, loss of appetite, flatulence, bloating, intestinal gas, IBS, increases hunger and digestive capacity. The churna reduces flatulence, abdominal distension, and intestinal gas. It improves bowel movement and helps to get a complete bowel evacuation
- Loss of appetite
- Bloating or abdominal distension
- Intestinal gas
- Incomplete bowel evacuation
- Spleen disorders
- Non-bleeding hemorrhoid
- Abdominal pain due to gas
Dose: A half teaspoon of this churna twice daily with normal water.
IBS Care Sachets:
These herbal sachets are in powder form with all properties of the used herbs as ingredients. The herbs used in its preparation gives calming effect on the stomach and are-Shankh bhasma, Sutshekhar ras, Praval pishti, Shukta pishti, Giloy, Kamdudha ras, Shvet parpati. The sachet works in balancing Pitta dosha of the body and maintains proper digestion of the body.
The properties of IBS Care Sachets are-
Dose: One sachet twice daily with normal water.
This is an Ayurvedic preparation in liquid form prepared using Vasa (Justicia adhatoda), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Nimba (Azadirachta indica), Triphala (three myrobalans), Patol (Trichosanthes dioica), Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Chirayta (Swertia chirayta), etc which normalize the Pitta dosha in the body. This syrup has the property to strengthen the metabolism and enhances the action of Agni. It is also beneficial in heartburn, abdominal pain, nausea, bloating, belching, etc related to IBS.
Dose: 2 teaspoonfuls twice daily.
TYPES OF IBS
As per the symptoms IBS is catagariosed into different types
- Predominant IBS-Constipation: This complains is due to vitiated Vata dosha which leads to dry skin, throat and mouth. When the IBS get chronic it results to anal fissures, complain of less sleep, anxiety.
- Predominant IBS- Diarrhea-This is due to imbalanced Pitta dosha. The imbalance may result to inflammation, vicious smelly excreta, and agitated.
- Predominant IBS-Dysentry- This is again due to imbalanced dosha, in this case Kapha dosha is responsible. This type of IBS leads to mucus in bowel, drowsiness, and nausea which results to weakness.
- Complex IBS- Disturbed and imbalanced Tri doshas – Vata, Pitta, and Kapha are the reason of it. One suffering with this has the symptoms of all three types mentioned above.
- Accrual IBS– Unevenness and vitiation of Tri doshas – Vata, Pitta, and Kapha are the cause of it. In this category paitents complain to have sticky, loose, oily with undigested food particles in the stool. In certain cases constipation is followed by loose motion.
- Tympanitis Predominant IBS (Ghatiyantra grahni)-In this type patients complains about the growling sound from their abdomen and escalated bowel followed with undigested food.
To get rid of the symptoms and suffering you are suggested to follow below given precaution swith prescribed medicine –
- Avoid caffeinated drinks- coffee / tea, alcohol and carbonated drinks.
- No to-Heavy meals, milk products and chocolate.
- Never suppress the urge to urinate or defecate.
- Make it a point to have your food while it is still warm.
- Consumption of buttermilk as much as possible.
- Avoid food when going through indigestion.
- Prefer boiled vegetables- gruel with a bit of black pepper, etc.
- Drink water at a lukewarm temperature
- Diet to be rich in calcium
- Try to get the required hours of sleep because it is essential for proper and healthy function of body.
- Never stay empty stomach, always should eat at regular breaks.
Home remedies always are helpful and can give temporary relief from the symptoms of IBS. Use of these Home Remedies for IBS will never be the reason of reappearance of the symptoms.
- Take one teaspoon of Psyllium Husks (Isabgol) with half cup of fresh yogurt one hour after dinner.
- Prepare tea by boiling one teaspoon of flaxseed in a cup of water. Drink it at night.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon, ginger and cumin powder with honey to make a paste. Take 1 teaspoon 3 times a day
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is an Ayurvedic Physician in Chandigarh and has an experience of 30 years in this field. He is founder of Chandigarh Ayurved Centre. Chandigarh Ayurvedic Centre provides best ayurvedic treatment &panchakarma therapies centre in Chandigarh. Chandigarh Ayurvedic Centre is a leading Multi specialityAyurvedic Clinic of North India.