A recent survey conducted tells us that 22 million kids miss the school days after catching cold during the year, on this globe. You can’t safeguard your child from all these viruses that are roaming in our environment, but these enhance their resistance.
Make sure that your kid is getting enough sleep. If your kid feels tired and sleepy all the time, her/his immune system slows down and becomes too sluggish to combat these bad bugs. It is a bad news that 33% of kids don’t get the sleep they require. Infants need 18 hours a day to sleep, toddlers require 12 to 14 hours of sleep and those going to school need 10 to 11 hours of sleep
Sneezing also happens when some bug enters your nose and irritates it. Many continuous sneezes makes you warn about the onslaught of cold hitting you. Mostly it is stimulated by dust, smoke, animal dander, pollen etc. In the medical field, it is seen as a gesture that throws out the unwanted guests that linger on your nasal paths.
Sneezing is a semi-autonomous reflex, meaning it can be controlled by you. You might be able to delay it after taking out a sanitized cloth or tissue paper, but jeopardizing it completely is next to impossible.
What are The Best Herbal Remedies to Stop Sneezing?
Stinging Nettle (Urtica Dioica)
- Mostly gardeners think that stinging nettle is a peaky weed, but it is a perky weed, due to its value in containing lots of minerals, this herbal plant is too good for runny nose & itchy eyes.
- Its main ingredient, scopoletin, is a natural anti-histamine. It doesn’t allow the bad bugs to create histamine, the main culprit in catching cold. It is a perfect cure for nasal stiffness, sneezing and itchy cum watery eyes. It blocks the way the bugs take to spread histamine and butchers the existing ones.
How to Use
- Herbal clinics produce the capsules that contain 300mg, which needs to be taken as prescribed by an Ayurvedic doctor. 2 or 3 times a day is enough.
- You can also dry this weeds leaves and make nettle tea, put 2 to 3 teaspoons in a cup and enjoy your hot tea with its benefits.
- Better seek the help of an expert, don’t try to pluck the leaves by yourself as this weed has thorns, as its name suggests, which can cause a sting and cause a nasty rash.
- An anti-histamine, anti-congestant and anti-oxidant, mostly quercetin is found in fruits like apples, grapefruit and red grapes, veggies like onions and plant based foods like the tea. It enhances the immune system and cease the release of histamines.When histamine is snubbed, no allergy can survive.
How to Use
- Eating all these herbs that are rich in quercetin help in hay fever, the dose of which depends on the severity of your ailment. 500Mg of their capsules can be taken for 3 times a day or as prescribed by your Ayurvedic doctor.
- If you already are taking some anti-coagulants that thicken your blood, chemotherapy, cyclosporine and corticosteroids, which are recommended for psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis, then a chat with your Ayurvedic doctor becomes inevitable.
- This herb comes from the daisy family, butterbur (Petasites hybridus) is time tested European herb that is used to remove allergies of various types, especially those connected to the respiratory system and is famous for stopping cough since the 17th century.
- Several different researches were conducted and it was found that this herb has the potential to be an effective anti-histamine that soothes most allergies, but never causes any dizziness, which is created by the modern medical system drugs.
- Butterbur is considered a better cure than placebo, it proves to be true when a research was conducted in Germany in 2009. Human studies have proved it to be a tonic for the people who suffer from allergic rhinitis.
- 1 capsule contains 50mg to 75mg of butterbur that should be taken twice a day or as prescribed by your doctor.
- Pineapples contains a strong enzyme called bromelain, a strong anti-inflammatory, which provide relief from swelling that happens in the nose and sinuses and the pain that challenges joints flexibility.
- It appears to be a slim nose secretion, but is very powerful and saves you from the bite of cold. A slice of pineapple or a glass of fresh juice of pineapple is beneficial for the patients with runny nose Don’t take if you have already have or are about to have a surgery as it enhances the flow of blood.
- Never have it if you are already having anti-biotics, amoxillin, tetracycline, or are on medication that slows down blood clotting, the reason being that this remedy enhances these drugs effects and a few side effects do occur
- It thins the mucus, which is in a thick state and is superb for a deep & heavy cough. Eucalyptus is present in a variety of types, so better choose your favorite allergy cure, is it for cough, cold, lozenge, tea, steam, salves or an ointment.
How to Use
- Add up to 5 drops of eucalyptus oil in a vaporizer or in boiling water and take a few whiffs. Don’t give cough drops containing eucalyptus to children under 6 years of age. What’s your allergy all about, is it stuffy, scratchy, and sneezy. You know what to do when one of symptoms appear.
- I recommend Planet Ayurveda’s Kaas-Har. Have it with raw honey and see the relief it brings.
Vikram Chauhan, MD – AYURVEDA is an expert Ayurvedic practitioner based in Chandigarh, India and doing his practice in Mohali, India. He is spreading the knowledge of Ayurveda Ancient healing treatment, not only in India but also abroad. He is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Products, Planet Ayurveda Clinic and Krishna Herbal Company. For more info visit our website: