The acronym ITP stands for Immune Thrombocytopenia and has replaced the term idiopathic Thrombocytopenic purpura. ITP is a rare disorder and is caused by a dysregulation of the immune system therefore the term Idiopathic stands invalid internationally. In addition to this, the term purpura is also misleading as one-third of the newly diagnosed ITP patients have no bleeding but only low platelet counts.
Classification Of ITP:
ITP can be both primary and secondary types.
The main clinical problem of primary ITP lies in the increased risk of bleeding, although bleeding symptoms may not always be present. It is an autoimmune disorder characterized by isolated thrombocytopenia (platelet count in peripheral blood<100 109/L). With no other causes or disorders that can be associated with thrombocytopenia.
All forms of immune thrombocytopenia except for primary ITP.The secondary form of the disease may occur in association with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, immunodeficient states, lymphoproliferative disorders, viral infections, and therapies using drugs such as quinidine, sulfa and heparin.
ITP is also classified as acute or chronic forms.
Acute, Relapsing ITP
in some cases, it is observed that thrombocytopenia will redevelop months or years after the first episode has resolved. Viral Infections actually precipitate these relapses or recurrences.
It is defined as ongoing thrombocytopenia after a 6 month period.
Stages of The Disease
Stages of ITP according to diagnostic criteria
Between 3-12 months following diagnosis. This excludes patients who have spontaneous remissions or whose complete response at the end of the first is not maintained over time.
For more than 12 months
Includes bleeding symptoms at the onset which require therapeutic intervention or with the development of new bleeding symptoms that require additional therapy with different treatment or a high dose.
- Urine analysis
- Full Blood Picture
- Platelet Count
- Blood Film to confirm Clinical Diagnosis of ITP
- No INR, APTT or clotting tests are required unless significant hemorrhage.
- A blood Marrow Aspirate is rarely required only in cases where hematological malignancy has to be ruled out.
Causes Of ITP
- Autoimmune:-ITP,SLE, APLS,ES
- Alloimmune: NAIT, PTP
- Drugs:Heparin induced Thrombocytopenia.
All of these enlisted causes are due to increased Destruction of Platelets.
Herbal Treatment of ITP
- The treatment of thrombocytopenia grossly includes platelet transfusion with corticosteroids or folate or bone marrow stimulation. However, the results don’t stand satisfactory as fatigue, malaise, nosebleeds or bleeding gums as well as increased duration of periods in women are generally observed.
- Therefore alternative medicine has developed in many countries all over the world which are plant derived, therefore, less toxic and have fewer side effects than synthetic dose.
One of these alternative modalities is through the use of Ayurvedic sources using natural herbs.
Following lists the Ayurvedic treatment for ITP with Herbs
1.Ashwagandha (Ajagandha. Amangura)
- It is a plant, while root and berry are used for making medicine.
- The name Ashwagandha is from the Sanskrit language and is a combination of the word Ashva, meaning Horse and Gandha meaning smell. The root has a strong aroma that is described as “horselike “
How Does It Work?
It contains chemicals that
- Calm the brain
- Reduce swelling ( inflammation)
- Lower Blood Pressure
- Alter the Immune system
Aloevera juice is taken twice a day as it decreases bleeding of gums and mouth and also steps up platelet production.
3.Amla (Indian Gooseberry)
Ayurveda recommends taking amla juice 20 ml twice daily empty stomach every morning and evening with an equal proportion of water as a reliable method to increase platelet count and provide an energetic boost to the body.
4.Wheat Grass Juice
When taken daily in the morning increases the Platelet count.
5.Raw Papaya Leaf Juice
- This ayurvedic remedy has been used for ages to boost up Platelet count.
- Crushes papaya leaves with a pestle after washing is used to prepare the juice without the addition of salt.
- Approximately 10 ml of papaya leaves juice is prescribed for adults twice a day and 5 ml twice a day for children (5-12 years).
6.The Herb of Guduchi Or Giloy (Tinospora Cordilolia)
This medicinal herb which has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and antipyretic properties is an excellent immunity booster due to the presence of several antioxidants.
Ayurvedic Giloy called “Amrita” is also used to stimulate the production of red blood cells.
Botanical Name: Centella asiatica
Arabic Name: artaniyae – Hindi
It is an herb in the parseley family.
How does it work?
- Serves as an excellent adaptogen and also increases the platelet count.
- It also combats infections, tiredness, stress, and depression.
- It improves blood circulation and treats blood clots.
It is also an excellent ayurvedic herb for the treatment of platelet counts in ITP.
Noni is a small evergreen tree in the Pacific Islands, Southeast Asia, Australia, and India. Its leaves have been used for ages to treat arthritis.
How does it work?
Noni contains many substances, including potassium. These substances help repair damaged cells in the body and also activate the immune system.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD – Ayurveda) is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Pvt. Ltd. He is Author of the Book “Ayurveda – God’s Manual For Healing”. He is an Ayurveda Expert Serving People worldwide through all the Possible Mediums, Operating from Main Branch in Mohali, India. With his Vast Experience in Herbs and their Applied Uses, he is successfully treating Numerous Patients suffering from Various Ailments. He is Serving the Society with Purest Herbal Supplements for One and only Purpose of Making People know and utilize the Wonderful Benefits of the Ayurvedic Diet, Lifestyle, and Natural Herbs. He Formulates Herbal Supplements himself and also Use Classical Ayurvedic Formulations for Helping People Get Rid of All Types of Health Issues, Restore their Health, Uses and Save themselves from the Worst Side-effects of Chemical Based Treatments. For More Details, visit www.PlanetAyurveda.com.