Oil pulling is an alternative medical practice. It is used to detoxify the body. It can be used for everything. Oil pulling is all about swishing oil around in the mouth for 15-20 minutes. Oil pulling is also known by the name kavalagandush.
Practitioners practicing oil pulling claims that oil pulling can be used for almost everything and it acts as a holistic method to improve systemic health. It can be used for various problems like headaches, migraine, diabetes mellitus and acne.
Its practitioner claims that it works by pulling out toxins which are called ama, which is the reason for inflammation in different parts of the body.
WHAT IS THE HISTORY OF OIL PULLING?
- Oil pulling is a centuries old practice. It originated in India as a part of natural healing practices. Practitioners at that time used sunflower and sesame oil for oil pulling which prevents bleeding gums and gingivitis, dryness of throat, cracked lips and strengthening teeth and jaws.
IS OIL PULLING EFFECTIVE?
- There are not specific and good evidence to prove the effectiveness of oil pulling in oral and systemic health. But few researchers have claimed that it is suggestive that something bad is being pulled from the mouth, i.e. toxins and bacteria.
- Oil pulling is based on traditional Ayurvedic medicine practice. It can be used as an adjunct therapy to dental home care therapies in the reduction of bacterial load in the mouth. Literature suggests that it is capable of improving oral health providing other health benefits.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF OIL PULLING?
- Strengthening of teeth, gums, and jaws.
- Teeth whitening.
- Controls bad breath.
- Increases energy.
- Support normal kidney function.
- Cleanses the skin.
- Detoxification of body.
- Improves the quality of the sleep.
HOW TO DO OIL PULLING?
- The first step is to choose an oil. The oil used for pulling should be mild and tolerable in taste. Make sure that the oil is in melted form. One tablespoonful of oil should be taken, wherever it is better to start with one teaspoonful oil.
- Swish the oil around the mouth, make sure it reaches all the areas of mouth going through the teeth. Flossing teeth before oil pulling is a good option as it helps to suck the oil between teeth. It is a kind of jaw and neck workout so it takes some time to get used to. The standard time for swishing is 20 minutes, but starting with2-3, minutes will be easier for the beginners.
- Spit the oil and wash mouth with water thoroughly. Then brush your teeth.
SOME BASIC TIPS TO GET BETTER RESULTS OF OIL PULLING
- Oil pulling is done on an empty stomach in the morning creates a more thorough detox.
- Oil pulling can be done during a shower or while doing other random stuff like watching TV, etc because it is easy and time-saving.
- Do not swish too tight as it can tire the jaw and oil pulling should be done for a longer time.
- Do not gargle or swallow the oil
- If oil’s taste is unpleasant and it creates a bad mouth taste, than add some drops of mint extract.
- Gargle with warm water.
WHICH OILS CAN BE USED FOR OIL PULLING?
5 essential oils which work wonderfully in oil pulling are given below:
- Coconut oil- Oil pulling with coconut oil whiten teeth, prevent gums from gingivitis and plaque, freshen your breath.
- Peppermint oil- It boosts both mental and physical health, gives fresh breath and improves the digestive system.
- Orange- It is very uplifting and amazing in taste.
- Grapefruit- It makes feel healthy, strong and energetic. It tastes good
- Rosemary- It supports a healthy lifestyle and tastes good too.
Oil pulling is a very good method to stay young and youthful in a very natural and safe method, as oil pulling helps to get rid of lines and wrinkles. Oil pulling makes your skin, hair, and body beautiful within and outside.
HOW DO OIL PULLING CAN HELP GETTING RID OF LINES AND WRINKLES?
- As the age increases lines and wrinkles start appearing and these lines and wrinkles make you look old. In some cases, these lines and wrinkles may make you look older than actually, you are.
- The oil pulling helps to replenish the essential fatty acids in your skin if the skin is dehydrated.
- The process of oil pulling produces a smoothing effect. Oil pulling is a form of workout of face and neck. It makes your muscles work more than usual. It tones facial muscles and makes the face look smooth. Oil pulling increases circulation around the face which adds a glow to the face. Oil pulling works best on the lower part of the face as this area receives a greater workout than other.
- An oil pulling is a detoxification process which makes your skin look healthier.
IS THERE ANY ROLE OF OIL PULLING IN REDUCTION OF ACNE?
- Acne is caused due to the accumulation of toxins in the body and oil pulling removes these toxins and detoxify the body. Hence results in the disappearance of acne.
- People practicing oil pulling recommend oil pulling for three times a day to fasten the healing process.
WHAT CAN BE THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OF OIL PULLING?
- The belief of people that teeth brushing can be replaced with oil pulling can result in chances of teeth cavities.
- Oils used for oil pulling are not tested by any authority so they can contain harmful additives.
- The oil used for oil pulling if ingested can cause lipoid pneumonia.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD – Ayurveda) is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Pvt. Ltd. He is Author of the Book “Ayurveda – God’s Manual For Healing”. He is an Ayurveda Expert Serving People worldwide through all the Possible Mediums, Operating from Main Branch in Mohali, India. With his Vast Experience in Herbs and their Applied Uses, he is successfully treating Numerous Patients suffering from Various Ailments. He is Serving the Society with Purest Herbal Supplements for One and only Purpose of Making People know and utilize the Wonderful Benefits of the Ayurvedic Diet, Lifestyle, and Natural Herbs. He Formulates Herbal Supplements himself and also Use Classical Ayurvedic Formulations for Helping People Get Rid of All Types of Health Issues, Restore their Health, Uses and Save themselves from the Worst Side-effects of Chemical Based Treatments. For More Details, visit www.PlanetAyurveda.com.