Masturbation is a healthy and normal activity (sexual) that have both benefits and side effects. There are many rumors and bizarre claims running around in the world about it from which many are untrue. Masturbation is a sexual activity when an individual feel their own genitals for stimulating sexual pleasure which sometimes may lead to orgasm and sometimes not. Masturbation nowadays is very common among men and women both. However there are many myths and confusing things which are revolving around and can build confusion in people. In this article we will be discussing all about the myths and facts attached to masturbation.
Introduction to Masturbation
Masturbation is a common activity done by both men and women, alone or with their partner. It is believed that people who do not have active sexual life indulges in this but no, even people who are sexually activity are involved in this. Masturbation is one of the safe ways to know about one’s own body and its needs. It is done for pleasure, exploring body and to release the sexual tension that might be build up. People of every background, race, or gender are involved in this activity. When done in a limited amount, masturbation is healthy but if done excessively it can cause certain side effects. Just keep reading as further we are going to burst the bizarre myths about it and unveil the truths about it.
Myths About Masturbation and Truth Behind It
There are many myths that portray masturbation as immoral and unhealthy for people. Let’s get to them and clear is they are true or not:
- Masturbation causes shrinkage of genitals- This is completely false and unlikely that people who indulge in masturbation may shrink their genitals. However if you are too much involved in it, it can cause chafing of skin around genitals and itching in the area.
- Masturbation damage sexual experience- This is also one of the baseless myths. Masturbation and sexual intercourse are two different things and one do not affect the other.
- Masturbation can make one go blind- This myth is completely bizarre as there is no link between masturbation and blindness and different researchers have concluded this.
- Masturbation can cause erectile dysfunction in men- Erectile dysfunction is a sexual disorder when one cannot get or maintain erection during sexual intercourse. There are different causes of it but masturbation is not one of them. Actually the people who are too much involved in masturbation become familiar with their own touch and can get problems in getting erection while intercourse with their partner.
- No time limit to masturbate- No, it’s not true and one should limit their masturbation especially if they are being too much involved in it and it is affecting their daily life activities, their relationship with partner and other relationships like friends and family.
- Early age masturbation causes deviant sexual behavior- No, its fine for teens to masturbate. They can learn about positive sexual experiences and sex without the risk of pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.
Positive Effects of Masturbation on Overall Health
Masturbation can be a taboo in our society but yes it has certain health benefits as well and it is a normal sexual activity. Some of its health benefits are:
- It helps in relieving build up stress
- It improves sleep
- Boosts the mood of an individual
- It helps in relaxing the body
- Masturbation gives a pleasure without involving in sexual activity
- It relieves cramps
- This activity also helps in relieving sexual tension
- It helps in having better sexual life
- Masturbation helps an individual better understand their needs and wants
- Masturbation can also be used by the couples to explore various desires and understand their wants without the risk of pregnancy
- It also help in preventing sexually transmitted diseases.
- Masturbation also helps in improving body image and self esteem.
- It also help in strengthening the pelvic and anal areas muscle tone.
People should stop taking it as a bad thing and accept it as an impression of sexuality in both women and men.
Negative Effects of Masturbation on Overall Health
It is very well said that too much of anything can cause harmful consequences, same goes for masturbation also. If anyone indulges in too much masturbation there can be certain side effects or negative effects on the overall health of a person.
- As in our culture it has been a taboo ever owing to the religious and cultural beliefs, it arises a sense of guilt and shame in a person. Due to this person’s self confidence and self esteem can drop down.
- People who are over indulged in masturbation and their daily activities are hindered. Their social life, relationships with friends, family and partner is also disturbed as they want to live alone for most of the time.
- Masturbating can decrease the sexual sensitivity of a person while involving in sexual intercourse.
- Masturbation makes almost impossible for a person to achieve orgasm or erection without it even if getting involved in sexual intercourse as they become more familiar to their own touch.
- Excessive masturbation causes too much physical fatigue and psychological disturbances as a person starts to feel always fatigued, low in mood and low in energy.
- Masturbation can cause lower back pain and pelvic area pain when done too much. Person can also have pain in testicle and groin area as the genitals become sore due to excessive masturbation.
- People who are involved a lot in masturbation cause one to miss on daily chores like going to school or college, skipping daily activities like going for jogging or morning walk, missing important social events and canceling plans with family and friends. Leaving alone for too long can make them depressed and low in mood.
Masturbation just like any other sexual activity is normal and not harmful if not done excessively. An individual should always keep in mind one word when being involved in such activities, i.e. moderation. We hope that we have been able to clear your most of the doubts and provide all the information about this topic. In case of any query kindly visit www.planetayurveda.com.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an Expert Ayurveda Consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. He researched age old formulas from ancient Ayurvedic text books to restore health and save human beings from the worst side-effects of chemical-based treatments.