Trees or plants are the mandatory requirements for all living beings from the ancient to the modern era. They are necessary for survival and providing a wide range of benefits to humans as well as our ecosystem. Imagine a life without trees is quite tough as trees or plants have a huge contribution in making our life run smoothly. Trees provide us oxygen to breathe, food to eat, and medicinal benefits to living a healthy and disease-free life. From one of the great beneficial trees, Ficus virens is the one, which is our today’s topic to be discussed. In this article, we will discuss various aspects of the Ficus virens tree along with its medicinal benefits.
Ficus virens is a tree of the genus Ficus with a huge strangling fig with a spreading canopy. Usually, the aerial roots are wrapped around the main stem. The height of this tree can exceed up to 24 to 27 meters (79-89 ft), the leaves of this plant are about 8 to 19 centimeter long and 3 to 6 centimeter broad along with a whitish midrib. The length of stipules is less than 1 centimeter. The color of pea-sized figs may vary from greenish-white to brown with spots and these figs are present in pairs. Ficus virens is a charming shade tree whose leaves start to fall in mid of February month. The new developing leaves can be seen in March with a color shade of reddish-pink, purple, or bronze, providing an attractive appearance to the tree.
The other names of Ficus virens are:
- White fig
- Ching Heibong
Suitable Area for Growing
The areas where the ficus virens tree is founded the most include:
- Southeast Asia
- Northern Australia
Ficus virens is a well-known medicinal plant of India and used for a prolonged duration in Ayurveda, the ancient Indian medicinal system for the treatment of numerous body disorders such as urinary diseases, respiratory diseases, hemorrhoids, inflammatory conditions, diarrhea, liver diseases, diabetes, etc. Ficus virens consists of multiple health beneficial properties including anti-diabetic, antimicrobial, hepatoprotective, antitussive, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic. A variety of phytochemical active constituents are found in various parts of Ficus virens which are really beneficial for health.
Ficus virens is used in treating various health issues and provides many benefits to our health. These benefits include:
- The fruits, latex, and leaves of ficus virens are beneficial in treating topical and internal disorders involving poisoning effects from snake bites.
- The white latex of ficus virens is applied topically to reduce inflammation.
- The ripe fruits can be eaten directly or in the form of jam mixed with jaggery or sugar to reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- The ripen fig is also helpful in providing relief in conditions of indigestion.
- The decoction of the stem bark juice can be used in the condition of ulcers and can be applied topically to reduce the inflammation in wounds and cuts.
- The crushed fruit of species ficus hispida can be used as plaster.
- The decoction of the leaves and the bark of roxburgh fig is useful in treating vaginal discharge.
- In the case of urinary diseases, the ripe fruits of ficus semicordata can be taken directly and leaves of ficus geniculata and white fig can be used in making soup to get relief in urinary diseases.
- This soup is also very beneficial in treating diabetic conditions and reduces excess sweating.
- Diarrhea can also be managed by boiling the young leaves of ficus geniculata, ficus hispida, and white fig in hot water and consuming them orally.
- In the condition of fever, ripe fig or cluster fig can be roasted over fire and taken with salt.
Health Benefits of Ficus Virens
The diseases which can be managed by using the various parts of ficus virens include:
- Cardiovascular disorders
- Urinary tract infections
- Vaginal discharge
- Gastric disorders
Uses as Food
The leaves of Ficus virens are consumed in Thai cuisines and known as phak lueat in the Thai language. They can be eaten in a boiled form as a vegetable in Northern Thai curries.
The Bottom Line
As we all know, trees and plants contain a wide range of properties and active constituents which are beneficial for the well-being of all living organisms. The above discussed Ficus virens tree is also filled with medical properties as well as fruits which can be used by human beings to enhance health and manage numerous diseased conditions.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an Expert Ayurveda Consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. He researched age old formulas from ancient Ayurvedic text books to restore health and save human beings from the worst side-effects of chemical-based treatments.