Asthma is is a chronic respiratory disorder, due to which, the bronchial tubes are inflamed, swollen, sore and narrowed. The airways become obstructed and it becomes difficult for air to come in and out of the lungs. The tubes get very sensitive and the muscles around them gets tightened leading to symptoms of asthma. These airways produce more mucus which further narrows the tubes.
- Asthma is known to be caused due to combination of environmental and genetic factors.
- Other possible triggers are cold air, exercise, foods, infection and allergies.
Symptoms Of Asthma
- Asthma shows various symptoms like lot of mucus, trouble in breathing, recurring cough usually dry cough, constant wheezing, and chest tightness.
- Asthma is one of the most common allergies triggered immune disease.
- The best way to manage asthma is to avoid triggers, take medications to prevent symptoms and always be prepared to treat asthma attacks when they occur.
- Asthma attack is a term used, when symptoms become worse than usual.
- Asthma is treated with two kinds of medicines: ones that gives instant relief to stop the symptoms right away (puff) and the other gives long term benefits and helps in preventing the symptoms completely.
How to Manage Asthma Naturally
- Simply by watching what you eat, one can keep asthma in check.
- There is really no diet that will eliminate or cure asthma completely but there are certain foods that can help stop the Asthma symptoms.
- Diet may influence on the inflammation of the airways.
- These are well known Anti-Asthma Superfoods/diet that the patient should consume on daily basis.
Top 7 Superfoods that Helps to Manage Asthma Naturally
- Deficiency of potassium and magnesium triggers asthma attacks so spinach is a perfect food for Asthma patients. This green leafy vegetable is the “king of superfoods” as it is rich in Vitamin C, beta carotene, Vitamin A, Potassium, Zinc, Iron, Calcium and Magnesium.
- Spinach also helps in promoting strong bones and muscles.
- Avocados are delicious creamy fruits that can help alleviate symptoms of Asthma.
- It has the highest concentration of antioxidant Glutathione compound that is known to promote good health by protecting the cells against free radical damage and pollutants.
- Avocados are rich in Vitamin E.
- Foods rich in Vitamin E helps in decreasing the risk of asthma symptoms like wheezing and coughing.
- Avocado can be consumed as is in salads or in the form of guacamole. It is one of the best reliefs from asthma triggers.
- Flaxseeds are loaded with potassium and magnesium which are considered to be asthma alleviating minerals. Flaxseeds are also considered the best plant-based source of Omega 3 fatty acids.
- They provide anti-inflammatory effect that can counter the bronchial inflammation leading to asthma attacks.
- Other Foods rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acidsinclude fish like salmon, tuna, cod and mackerel, chia seeds and soy.
- The best way to consume Flaxseeds is to grind them and add it to the foods.
- Bananas are considered as the best source of Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) which plays a crucial role in production of ATP (Adenosine Tri Phosphate) molecules that help relax bronchial muscle tissue.
- Bananas are rich in potassium, Vitamin C and fiber and helps in lowering blood pressure and also fight cancer.
- Bananas contain Tryptophan (an amino acid) that plays a vital role in preserving memory and boosting mood.
- Eating just one banana a day reduces asthmatic symptoms like wheezing.
- Kale is nutritional powerhouse packed with beta-carotene, Vitamin A, K, B6 and manganese and is one of the known superfoods to alleviate asthma symptoms.
- Kale is one of the vegetables with highest ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity).
- Kale is rich in Vitamin C which is known to reduce muscle contraction in the airway passage.
- Vitamin C helps in promoting a healthy immune system and reduce wheezing in children.
- The leaves of Kale can be eaten as is in salads or saluted and mixed with onions, garlics, some olive oil and eaten as a dish.
- Kiwi’s are high in Vitamin C and anti-oxidants. They are known to reduce wheezing in children, reduce inflammation caused by allergic reactions in respiratory system, reduce shortness of breath, runny nose and cough.
- Kiwi has beneficial effects on the lung; they boost immunity, manage blood pressure and helps with digestion.
- Kiwi also improves the function of immune cells in the blood.
- Kiwi should be consumed twice per week by the asthma sufferers. One cup of sliced Kiwi gives 164 mg of Vitamin C.
- Apples surely provide protection against asthma. Apples have a high concentration of bioflavonoids such as quercetin which is known to possess anti histamine, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory properties.
- The flavonoid “Khellin” present in Apples are known to open up the airways.
Drinking apple juice helps in reducing the chance of wheezing in children.
- One apple daily helps in long way in preventing asthma attacks.
- Pregnant women should consume apples daily.
- Apple’s antioxidant content is present mainly in it peel, so it is advised to eat an unpeeled apple once a day.
Home Remedy to Manage Asthma
- Dehydration is one of the major causes of asthma symptoms.
Home Remedy(How to Make)
- Mixing Honey in warm water removes phlegm from the throat and treats asthma symptom.
- Another way is to add some cinnamon to honey and mix them with a spoon of lime juice.
- In case of frequent asthma attacks, it is always advised to consume coffee or black tea right away.
- It is advised for asthma patients to increase the use of ginger, garlic and turmeric in their diet.
- Vitamin D Rich foods should be added in the diet like eggs, salmon, fortified orange juice as it also helps to reduce the number of asthma attacks.
Asthma is a disorder that can alter a person’s life especially if they have been suffering from it since an early age.
Diet and lifestyle
- Diet and lifestyle changes are meant to complement asthma treatment at home. Having a healthier diet also leads to weight loss, improved digestion, lower blood pressure and lower cholesterol. Maintaining a healthy weight makes it easier to manage any condition.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD – Ayurveda) is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Pvt. Ltd. He is Author of the Book “Ayurveda – God’s Manual For Healing”. He is an Ayurveda Expert Serving People worldwide through all the Possible Mediums, Operating from Main Branch in Mohali, India. With his Vast Experience in Herbs and their Applied Uses, he is successfully treating Numerous Patients suffering from Various Ailments. He is Serving the Society with Purest Herbal Supplements for One and only Purpose of Making People know and utilize the Wonderful Benefits of the Ayurvedic Diet, Lifestyle, and Natural Herbs. He Formulates Herbal Supplements himself and also Use Classical Ayurvedic Formulations for Helping People Get Rid of All Types of Health Issues, Restore their Health, Uses and Save themselves from the Worst Side-effects of Chemical Based Treatments. For More Details, visit www.PlanetAyurveda.com.