Piles are swelling or swollen hemorrhoids that occur inside or around the anus, and along the anal canal. Hemorrhoids are masses, clumps, cushions of the tissue full of blood vessels, support tissue, muscle, and elastic fibers in the anal canal. When the hemorrhoids guarding the anal passage become too big due to inflammation, then the veins become stretched, thin, and irritated by passing bowel movements, that is when piles develop.
There are commonly two types of hemorrhoids, internal and external. Internal hemorrhoid commonly forms when blood vessels inside the rectum become swollen and engorged. External hemorrhoids can occur due to increased pressure caused by obesity, pregnancy, sitting or standing on the toilet, coughing, vomiting, sneezing, etc.
The primary cause of piles is genetic predisposition to piles, lack of fiber in the diet, inadequate fluid intake, stress, anal intercourse, previous surgery of bowel, constriction of intestine following a surgery, dysfunction of the floor of pelvis which leads to common symptoms like pain during bowel movements, anal itching, hard lumps around the anus, bright red bleeding from the anus, area around the anus becomes red and sore, etc.
In Ayurveda, there is a complete treatment for piles at all stages of piles. Ayurveda recommended some of the best remedies which can be used easily at any age. Some of the common and effective home remedies are given below –
- Radish juice – Radish juice is considered to be the best home remedy for piles as it soothes the digestive system naturally. The juice is taken in the morning and night. Start with a ¼ cup and increase to½ cup gradually for 1 month. Or you can also apply a local application of radish paste mixture with a few amounts of honey on an affected area, which is very effective to ease the pain, discomfort, and irritation.
- Figs – Figs are one of the amazing herbal remedies for piles. Wash 2-3 figs and soak in a glass of water. In the early morning eat them and again repeat in the night. Take this remedy for about 15 days, you will notice an effective result as it reduces the signs and symptoms regarding the piles.
- Triphala Powder – As mentioned above, constipation is the major cause for piles, triphala powder must be taken regularly to remove constipation and hence prevent piles.Take 4 grams of triphala powder every night before going to bed with lukewarm water.
- Cumin seeds – Take 1 teaspoon of black cumin seeds, roast, and mix it with 1 teaspoon of unroasted black cumin seeds and powder both together. Take a ½ teaspoon of this powder with normal water once a day to get rid of piles. Cumin seeds are very effective in managing the digestive system related issues which are directly associated with piles problem.
- Use ice packs – Try out the simple home remedy of applying some ice on the affected area several times throughout the day and you will notice some reduction in the hemorrhoid pain and swelling after a few days.
- Add some fiber–Adding fiber to your diet is one of the best ways to treat hemorrhoids at home. Straining and constipation can lead to hemorrhoids feel worse. Include fiber-rich foods like beans, wheat, andallbran. Many fruits and vegetables also contain fiber, which helps to regulate bowel movement and prevent hemorrhoids pain.
- Coconut oil – Coconut oil is easily available and is considered as a best natural moisturizer. Applying coconut oil to the affected area can reduce the irritation and swelling. Use coconut oil after every bowel defecation and also apply it every night.
- Neem –Neem is a very useful natural herb that can easily find out near our homes. It has very good anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and pain-relieving properties. Hence it gives the best result in piles, fissure, fistula problem as in all these anorectal problems there is a pain, inflammation, and sometimes bacterial infection also.
- Amla– Amla is rich in natural vitamin C. It contains gallic acid, which acts as a potent polyphenol. It possesses the highest concentration of vitamin C of any fruit, as well as many medicinal properties, and it is eaten in either fresh or preserved form. Amla is the best remedy for many gastrointestinal problems, including piles.
By the use of these above-mentioned home remedies, you will surely cure the hemorrhoids in a natural way. These remedies will help in reducing swelling, relieves pain, removes bacteria, attacks root cause, stop bleeding, and also treat other associated symptoms regarding the piles.
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is an Ayurvedic Physician in Chandigarh and has an experience of 30 years in this field. He is founder of Chandigarh Ayurved Centre. Chandigarh Ayurvedic Centre provides best ayurvedic treatment &panchakarma therapies centre in Chandigarh. Chandigarh Ayurvedic Centre is a leading Multi specialityAyurvedic Clinic of North India.