Among the several diseases that tend to rise during the monsoon season, pneumonia is one of them and is commonly seen among the children.
As per Ayurveda aspect:
It is correlated with “Shlaishmik Jwara” (श्लैष्मिक ज्वर)
Vata and Kapha dosha come into play during the investigation of respiratory immunity. The proper functioning of lungs is governed by udan vata (sub-dosha of vata), that governs the throat, speech, and lungs. The structure, on the other hand, is governed by shleshaka kapha (sub-dosha of kapha). In general, the lungs are supported by avlambak kapha, which governs the functions of the chest, lungs, heart, and lower back region. It also stabilizes and supports the connection between the prana and Udana vata which governs the chest and respiration. Prana Vata (sub-division of vata) is the governing force of Udana vata. Due to weak digestive system, ama starts accumulating and circulating through the lungs and in the later stage, it is mixed with shleshamaka kapha to form a sticky substance called shleshma. When there is an imbalance in the udna Vayu then it has a drying effect on shleshma, causing it to dry up and clog the lungs. When this shleshma plugs up the tiny channels of the lungs then the elasticity is impaired and circulation is also diminished. As a result, the immunity goes out of balance.
As per modern aspect:
Pneumonia is a respiratory condition which is characterized by the inflammation of the lungs. At times the bacteria, virus or fungi get hold of the body’s immune system and attack on it. The infection is contagious and can be critical to the point of being life-threatening. In this condition, air sacs may fill with fluid or pus that causes cough with phlegm or there is a difficulty in breathing. Infants and young children are more prone to this disorder.
What are the causes of pneumonia?
The most common cause is the bacteria or virus in the air we breathe.
1. Generally, the body prevents the infectious agents from infecting the lungs because of the healthy immune system but sometimes these agents can overpower the immune system even if you are healthy.
2. The most common bacterial pneumonia is the Streptococcus pneumonia. Bacteria can affect sometimes one lobe (part) of the lung and this condition is called as lobar pneumonia. (कृमि)
3. Fungi is also the most common cause and are the most common in people with chronic health problems or the person who has a weak immune system. Fungi can be found in soil or bird droppings.
4. Some common viruses that cause flu and cold can cause pneumonia. These viral infections sometimes may infect the lungs and lead to Pneumonia.
What are the symptoms of pneumonia?
The symptoms may vary from mild or severe. These usually depend on factors such as the germs that cause infection. In newborn babies and infant, fast breathing with wheezing sound is the main symptom.
Other Symptoms Include:
• Chest pain during breathing and coughing (वक्ष स्थल में वेदना)
• Changes in mental awareness (मनोविभ्रंश)
• Cough which may produce yellow, green or bloody sputum (कास के साथ रक्त, हरे या पीले कफ का निकलना)
• Fatigue (थकावट)
• Fever and sweating (ज्वर और पसीना आना)
• Lower body temperature (शरीर का तापमान काम हो जाना)
• Shortness of breath (श्वास कठिनता)
• Nausea (हृल्लास)
• Vomiting or maybe diarrhea (वमन या पुरीष भेद)
• Loss of appetite (भूख न लगना)
What are the natural home remedies for pneumonia?
Garlic posseses the ability to fight against bacteria, virus or fungi because it has the antimicrobial property. It clears out the phlegm from the lungs and the chest by increasing the expectoration. It also helps to lower the body’s temperature. Mix one cup of milk and one cup of water and add half teaspoon of crushed garlic to it. Boil it until it reduce to one-fourth. Drink it three times a day. You may also add crushed garlic cloves and honey to an equal amount of fresh juice. Take 2 to 3 teaspoons of it, 3 to 4 times a day. You may rub a paste of garlic on the chest for better relief.
2. Cayenne pepper:
Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin and has beta-carotene which has a stimulating effect and releases mucous from the respiratory tract. Add some cayenne pepper and lemon juice to a glass of water. Drink it 3 to 4 times on a daily basis.
3. Fenugreek seeds:
Fenugreek has the ability to clear off the congestion as it possesses mucolytic properties. It helps to reduce fever by inducing sweating and expelling out the toxic substances from the body. It is the best remedy to treat pneumonia. Prepare fenugreek tea and drink it 3 to 4 times daily.
4. Fresh vegetable juice:
Fresh vegetable juices such as spinach, carrot are very effective for treating symptoms related to pneumonia. This enhances the immune system and dissolves the thick mucus, thereby detoxifies the body. Make a juice of these vegetables and drink it on a daily basis.
Peppermint can be used for the management of a variety of symptoms. It has an antifungal, antibacterial as well as antiviral properties. Menthol is a compound improves breathing effort and reduces the production of mucus peppermint leaves in 250 ml of hot water for 15 to 20 minutes. Once the mixture has cooled then add one tablespoon of raw honey to it. Drink this tea a few times a day.
Turmeric works as a mucolytic that expels out the mucus from the body, particularly from the respiratory system. It has an antibacterial and antiviral properties that fight against infections. Mix turmeric powder in warm mustard oil and make a paste of it. Rub this paste on the chest. You can drink a glass of warm milk added with one teaspoon of turmeric. Mix half teaspoon of turmeric and ¼ teaspoon of black pepper powder in a glass of warm water. Drink this water once a day.
Some preventing tips:
1. Always cover your mouth and nose while sneezing.
2. Wash hands regularly, especially before and after meals so as to avoid the infections.
3. Take proper and healthy balanced diet.
4. Get proper sleep to keep the immune system healthy.
5. Do exercise regularly.
6. Children should get a flu shot, it will help you to reduce the risk of contracting the flu.
Vikram Chauhan, MD – AYURVEDA is an expert Ayurvedic practitioner based in Chandigarh, India and doing his practice in Mohali, India. He is spreading the knowledge of Ayurveda Ancient healing treatment, not only in India but also abroad. He is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Products, Planet Ayurveda Clinic and Krishna Herbal Company. For more info visit our website: