Second largest organ of the body is the liver. It sits below the rib cage on the right side of the abdomen. The main function of the liver is to free your body from toxic substances and digestion of food. Liver digests the food, transforms it to energy and keeps energy until you need it. When your liver doesn’t work properly, that can affect your whole body. Various kinds of diseases that affect the healthy and normal performance of the liver are known as liver disorders.
In this article we will discuss liver, liver disorders, symptoms ,causes and herbal management of liver disorders.
Liver disorder may be defined as any disruption of liver function that leads to illness. Liver diseases are also known as Hepatic disorders. Disruption of liver functions can cause crucial damage to the body. Many situations can affect your liver, some of these are:
- Hepatitis: There are five types of Hepatitis. All types of hepatitis are infectious, but you can diminish your risk with the help of vaccination for type A and type B. It causes liver damage and inflammation.
- Autoimmune conditions: Autoimmune conditions such as Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBC), Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis, and Autoimmune hepatitis etc can cause damage to bile ducts in your liver that leads to liver failure.
- Fatty liver Disease: Large amount of fat is accumulated in the liver resulting in fatty liver disease. Alcoholic fatty liver disease and Non- Alcoholic fatty liver disease are the two types of fatty liver disease. Both types can lead to cirrhosis and liver failure.
- Cirrhosis: It is the next stage of fibrosis (scarring). In this condition the liver is caused by several diseases like chronic alcoholism, hepatitis. Cirrhosis is a life threatening disease.
- Cancer: Hepatocellular carcinoma is the most regular type of liver cancer. It can start as a single tumor. If cancer spreads in your liver from another part of the body is known as Secondary Liver Cancer.
- Liver Failure: If any part of the liver can’t perform its function, it leads to liver failure. There are two types of liver failure i.e. Acute and chronic liver failure. Liver failure is a life threatening condition that requires necessary medical care.
Symptoms of liver disorders may vary up on the exact type of disease. Some examples of symptoms of liver disease are:
- Yellowish appearance of skin and eyes (Jaundice)
- Abdominal swelling and pain
- Skin becomes itchy
- Pale, bloody stool color and dark urine color.
- Vomiting or Nausea
- Decreased appetite
- Fatigue or Sleepiness
- Mental confusion (Hepatic Encephalopathy)
Some common causes of liver disorders are:
1. Abnormality of Immune System
It may be defined as the liver disorders in which the body immune system attacks your liver. It is also known as autoimmune disease. Some examples include
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis
- Primary Biliary Cholangitis
Viruses and Infections are the main cause of Infection. It also infects the liver and causes inflammation. Due to Inflammation, the liver can’t perform its functions properly. This leads to Cirrhosis or liver damage. Some common type of liver infections is
- Hepatitis A, B, E
- Herpes simplex virus
3. Hereditary Conditions
Some genetic conditions can also affect your liver. Some examples of disease that are inherited from your parents are
- Wilson’s disease
- Alpha-1 Antitrypsin deficiency etc
Circumstances that Enhance the Risk of Liver Disease are
- Diabetes (Type 2)
- Excess use of alcohol
- Body piercing or tattoos
- Sharing of needles
- family history if liver disease
- Unsafe sex
- Say yes to physical activities.
- Avoid overconsumption of alcohol.
- Take medicines wisely. Don’t mix medicine with alcohol. Always consult your doctor before mixing of prescribed, non prescribed drugs with herbal supplements.
- Do not share needles.
- Get vaccinated if you find any kind of symptom of hepatitis.
- Be safe during sex.
- Wash your hands properly before eating or preparing food.
- Always follow manufacturer’s instruction while spraying insecticides or pesticides, paint and other toxic chemicals.
- Always protect your skin from harmful chemicals.
- Keep away from other people’s body fluids and blood
- Always maintains healthy weight
Any of the causative factors responsible for the vitiation of rakta vaha srotas dushti (micro channel associated with blood) will lead to the alteration of the normal functions of liver. The liver and spleen are considered as the basic seats of raktavaha srotas. Moreover, the vitiation of raktavaha srotas is mostly due to Pitta enhancing food and lifestyle and by Ama (endotoxins resulting from undigested food). The various liver disorders that mentioned in Ayurveda are:
- Kamala (Jaundice)
- Halimak (Complication of Jaundice)
- Yakrit Vridhi (Hepatomegaly)
- Yakritodar (cirrhosis of liver)
- Yakritarbud (Tumors of liver)
- Yakrit Vidradhi (Hyatid Cyst)
- Other Yakrit rogas (liver disorders)
Herbal Medicines Provided by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides 100% safe and effective herbal medicines such as “Yakrit Plihantak Churna” to maintain healthy liver and spleen. These herbal medicines are free from preservatives, colors, binders and chemicals. These herbal products have low and very less side effects. Herbal products introduced by our experts to maintain a healthy liver.
Yakrit Plihantak Churna
It contains several kinds of herbal ingredients. It includes:
- Punarnava (Borrhavia Diffusa): It is used in the treatment of Chronic liver disease. It protects liver cell damage from free radicals, due to its antioxidant property.
- Bhumi Amla (Phyllanthus Niruri): Because of its antiviral, antioxidant and hepato-protective activities, It is beneficial in the treatment of several liver disorders. By reducing the production of gastric acid, it also helps to preventing ulcers.
- Kalmegh (Andrographis Paniculata): Kalmegh is used to maintain the balance between Kapha and Pitta dosha. It is beneficial in the treatment of chronic hepatitis B viral infection
- Sharpunkha (Tephrosia Purpurea): It helps in the treatment of liver cirrhosis. It is also beneficial for the removal of various toxins from the liver. It is useful to rebuild the new liver cells.
- Makoy (Solanum Indicum): Makoy is a super-antioxidant which is used to intensify the liver. It is beneficial for the protection of the liver from various infective agents.
- Katuki (Picrorhiza Kurroa): “Kutkin and Picroliv” are the important enzymes present in Katuki. These enzymes clear out the toxins from the liver and limit the exposure from microbes, germs etc.
- Bhringraj (Eclipta Alba): Bhringraj helps to prevent liver inflammation. Bhringraj reduces the toxic load from the liver and improves the functioning of the liver. Antibacterial, Antioxidant, Anti-inflammatory are the properties of Bhringraj.
- Kaasni (Cichorium intybus): Kasni is very beneficial in the treatment of enlargement and swelling of the liver, jaundice, Hepatitis, cirrhosis of the liver, dropsy, bilious Liver, jaundice.
At the end we came for this conclusion that the liver is the only organ which regenerates itself. But Allopathic medicines hamper its regeneration power. They slow down and ultimately cause liver damage. So we must follow Ayurvedic medications to restore its regeneration power and also cures the liver disorder from its root cause, Planet Ayurveda Provides the best herbal supplement for liver disorders.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD – Ayurveda) is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Pvt. Ltd. He is Author of the Book “Ayurveda – God’s Manual For Healing”. He is an Ayurveda Expert Serving People worldwide through all the Possible Mediums, Operating from Main Branch in Mohali, India. With his Vast Experience in Herbs and their Applied Uses, he is successfully treating Numerous Patients suffering from Various Ailments. He is Serving the Society with Purest Herbal Supplements for One and only Purpose of Making People know and utilize the Wonderful Benefits of the Ayurvedic Diet, Lifestyle, and Natural Herbs. He Formulates Herbal Supplements himself and also Use Classical Ayurvedic Formulations for Helping People Get Rid of All Types of Health Issues, Restore their Health, Uses and Save themselves from the Worst Side-effects of Chemical Based Treatments. For More Details, visit www.PlanetAyurveda.com.