Everyone wants to get healthy and go on diets, one of the diets which are very popular nowadays is known as Keto Diet. Keto diet is better known for a low carb diet, where the body produces ketones which are then used as energy. This is also known as a low carb diet, ketogenic diet, low carb high fat, etc. In this diet, you mostly consume unsaturated fats like avocados, seeds, or nuts, and in saturated fats, coconut oil or clarified butter is taken. Along with this 20 to 30 percent of the diet includes protein which is either lean or fatty. In this diet, it is very important to strict the intake of carbs such as whole grains, milk, or many other fruits and vegetables that are high in carbs. In the keto diet, you are supposed to take carbs fewer than 50grams throughout the whole day. So, here in this article, we are going to discuss the benefits of the Keto Diet in Diabetic people.
Diabetes is also known as Diabetes mellitus which affects the metabolism causing the blood sugar levels to get high. There are two conditions that can occur in diabetes one is when the does not make enough insulin or either it is not able to use the insulin in an effective way.
There are four different types of diabetes including
- Type1 Diabetes:- It is an autoimmune disease, where the pancreas destroys cells and is not able to make enough oxygen.
- Type2 Diabetes:- Where the cells are not able to resist insulin and the sugar starts to get accumulated in the blood.
- Gestational diabetes:- The levels of blood sugars elevate more than normal during the time of pregnancy. The placenta contains insulin blocking hormones resulting in diabetes.
- Prediabetes:- In this type, the insulin levels are higher than normal but is not considered to be type 2 diabetes.
One of the most commonly noted diabetes is type2 Diabetes where hunger and thirst increase. They are more prone to gain weight due to the excess levels of sugar in the blood and it can be easily controlled through a healthy diet. Keto Diet is one of the beneficial ways to control sugar levels in type 2 diabetic patients.
MECHANISM OF KETO DIET
Consumption of high carb diet results in high levels of insulin and glucose. Glucose is one of the primary energies where fats are needed and therefore are stored. Typically when you consume a high-carb diet, the body uses that glucose in the form of energy. When you lower those levels of carb in the diet the body produces a mechanism called Ketosis. It is the natural process of the body where the body initiates in surviving even in low food intake.During this process, the liver breaks down fat and produces ketones.
The main goal of the Keto diet is to force the body to maintain the metabolism where you do not have to go through that starvation instead you just have to starve yourself with crabs. The human body adapts itself according to what you consume and when you overload it without carbohydrates, resulting in the burning of Ketones. Optimal levels of carbohydrates help in maintaining good health, weight loss, mental and physical health.
DIABETES AND KETO DIET
According to the studies it has been found that the keto diet is very beneficial for people who suffer from Type 2 Diabetes and for Type1 the studies are still going on. People with Type1 Diabetes are told not to follow the Keto diet without any recommendation from Doctor. Most people with Type2 Diabetes are overweight and a high-fat diet might seem unhelpful. The main goal of the ketogenic diet is to use fat to produce energy instead of using glucose or carbohydrate. This does not mean you have to consume lots of saturated fats.
Here are some good fats that you should include
- Leafy vegetables:- Kale, spinach, etc
- Meats:- Eggs poultry, beef, lamb, fish, etc
- High-fat dairy:- High fat cream, butter, hard cheese.
- Grounded vegetables:- Cauliflower, broccoli, etc.
- Nuts and seeds:- Walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Avocados and berries.
Food to avoid
- Sugar:- Maple syrup, honey, agave, etc
- Fruits:- Banana, apples, oranges, etc.
- Grains:- Corn, wheat, rice, cereal, etc
Effect on blood glucose levels
The Keto diet has the potential to lower down the levels of blood glucose. Managing the consumption of carbohydrates in people with type2 diabetes, as carbohydrates have the capability to turn into sugar which results in increased levels of blood sugar. If you have high blood sugar then eating a high carb diet will cause an adverse effect on the body.
In 2008 there was research conducted where people with type 2 diabetes were told to follow the Keto diet. The result came out that people who followed the keto diet saw great improvements in their glycemic control. In 2013 more improvements were done which concluded that the keto diet is very beneficial for people with type2 diabetes.
Other Benefits of Keto Diet
- Helps in losing weight as the person feels full and it reduces the hunger-stimulating hormones.
- In several cases, it is also seen that the keto diet helps in reducing acne by balancing the gut bacteria.
- Eating healthy fats like avocados helps in lowering cholesterol levels and improving the health of the heart.
- In 2019 some studies also show that people who follow a keto diet are able to prevent themselves from Alzheimer’s disease.
- The equal ratios of proteins, fats, and carbs help in reducing seizures in people that are epileptic.
- Also improves symptoms included in Polycystic ovarian syndrome by balancing the hormones and losing weight.
- The minimum carb intake helps in improving gut health by increasing good bacteria in the stomach.
Above mentioned information will help you to know about Keto Diet and how it helps in Diabetes. Diabetes is a chronic disease and the intake of food affects a lot the levels of blood sugar and it’s better to manage the diet. Thus, it is concluded that the Keto diet is the best to control weight and blood sugar in people with Type2 diabetes.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an Expert Ayurveda Consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. He researched age old formulas from ancient Ayurvedic text books to restore health and save human beings from the worst side-effects of chemical-based treatments.